Your Opinion On Grain Free Food?

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started feeding my cat grain free food, but I'm wondering if grain free food is truly necessary?
He has respiratory issues, so I thought it might be a food allergy, but he doesn't seem much different. I was thinking about maybe trying the science diet next, but I'm still learning what's truly best to feed my cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are obligated carnivores, they have evolved to be biologically suited to eat a diet high in protein and low in carbs. A diet with a high carb content will likely lead totweight retention and can have negative impact on a cats overall well being. Cats also get very little nutitional benefit from carb or starch sources like peas, potato's and grains because their system isnt built to process them.

Grain free is a catch phrase to sell food without grains which is seen as the main contributor of carbs in human perception. However, a grain free food can still have potatoes, millet, peas, etc. All of which are also not biologically appropriate or beneficial.

Essentially, grain free is a good starting point but as currently applied it tends to be gimicky. The underlaying theory is sound but application needs some work.

Personally, the ideal commercial cat diet is something labeled as grain free and limited ingredient because that will minimize the additional fillers added into the diet. Although you need to readrlabels because the definition on "limited" tends to vary. In dry food I look for a single protein and single binder. In wet, a single protein and vitamins needed to balance nutrition. If you've been having suspected food sensitivity issues I'd try a novel protein, grain fee, limited ingredient before switching to science diet. Remember that it can take 30 days for changes to be noticable when it comes to food related problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding him Purina Beyond Grain-Free Whitefish and Egg right now, because it seemed to have a high protein level compared to some other cat foods I looked at, and it was more in my budget. I didn't know it took so long to notice changes either.
Thank you for your input!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That one isn't a bad option. If you're still having troubles I'd try one without chicken. I know that turned out to be our trouble item. It's a lot harder to find a good priced dry without chicken. Natural Balance has one within the same price point but their protein is lower. I have been rotating through a few right now, buying whichever is on sale and mixing the remains of the last bag with the new whenever there is a quarter bag of the old left.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to feed low carb foods. I dont actually care if the carbs come from grains, fruits, vegetables, potatoes or what ever, i try to stay away from as many carbs as possible. my cats dont have a problem with grains, they do tend to get loose poop if they eat food with much peas or potatoes. But in my opinion too many carbs are bad, what ever they come from. High protein, moderate fat, low carb, what i try to do :)

If feeding dry one place you might check carb content is the cat food data base. they also have a lot of wet foods listed, so you can check those too

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try some canned food, to see if his breathing issues diminish at all?
Have you tried different brands to see if maybe he has an allergy/intolerance to an ingredient - that can sometimes show up as a respiratory issue.

Is your litter dusty? Littermaid's corncob and also their walnut are no dust, and Dr Elsey's respiratory relief crystals is also good.

Do you have air fresheners, strong smelling spray cleaners, scented candles, strongly scented dryer sheets or laundry soap, or perfume or strongly scented face/body lotions or creams?

If you can try eliminating those things, see if that helps. I would suggest a vet visit just to be sure it's not something more.
Here's something that might help regarding additives et al
Pet Food Guide

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to feed low carb foods. I dont actually care if the carbs come from grains, fruits, vegetables, potatoes or what ever, i try to stay away from as many carbs as possible. my cats dont have a problem with grains, they do tend to get loose poop if they eat food with much peas or potatoes. But in my opinion too many carbs are bad, what ever they come from. High protein, moderate fat, low carb, what i try to do :)

If feeding dry one place you might check carb content is the cat food data base. they also have a lot of wet foods listed, so you can check those too

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thank you so much for showing me the Cat Food Database! The food I'm feeding him now is a little high carb, and I didn't even realize it. I'm going to switch him to Taste of the Wild, because it's in the same price range and much higher in protein. :)

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you try some canned food, to see if his breathing issues diminish at all?
Have you tried different brands to see if maybe he has an allergy/intolerance to an ingredient - that can sometimes show up as a respiratory issue.

Is your litter dusty? Littermaid's corncob and also their walnut are no dust, and Dr Elsey's respiratory relief crystals is also good.

Do you have air fresheners, strong smelling spray cleaners, scented candles, strongly scented dryer sheets or laundry soap, or perfume or strongly scented lotions or creams?

If you can try eliminating those things, see if that helps. I would suggest a vet visit just to be sure it's not something more.
Here's something that might help regarding additives et al
Pet Food Guide
I'm going to switch the brand of pet food next month if I don't see any improvement with his wheezing. I also bought him some canned food to mix into his dry food to see if he'll tolerate having more wet food in his diet. I suspected the litter might also be dusty, so I bought some Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief litter thanks to everyone's help on this site. I don't use anything strongly scented, because I'm prone to migraines and have sensitive skin like my cat lol. He has an appointment on Thursday, so I'm hoping to get some more answers from the vet, and maybe an official diagnosis. I'm almost positive he has asthma.

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for showing me the Cat Food Database! The food I'm feeding him now is a little high carb, and I didn't even realize it. I'm going to switch him to Taste of the Wild, because it's in the same price range and much higher in protein. :)
I think TOTW is a good food. My mom feeds the Turkey from their prey line, and her cats are doing very well. i know the older TOTW foods have good reviews on Chewy!
i have put you another link to Dr. Piersons list. it shows wet food only, which is very good for cats. i feed both wet and dry. at different meals, not together as if it sits long mixed together it can grow bacteria rapidly. I also put a formula link for TOTW Several of the fancy feast are good, the classics and the grilled i think. I have started limiting the one with cheese, so many people talk about constipation and cats...:( i dont want that ever with my guys. and cheese may do it.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

» Formula Results

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in grain free diets for cats. I tried it on my cats and after about 10 days both got diarrhea. I spoke to the vet about and it and he told me it's basically a marketing fad. He also said there is nothing wrong with giving a cat of it now and then, but stick with the tried and true foods out there, not the gimmicks.
I don't think it leads to a longer healthier life. That all depends on the cat. Just like people. Some smoke and drink and live to be very old, some die young. I had a cat who pretty much ate meow mix most of her life and lived to be 18. Most of you know my Timmer died at 10 years old from IBD.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO, it's a marketing trend. Grain-free foods tend to still have a lot of carbs like peas and sweet potatoe, etc. It's a relatively new trend. Cats have been fine without it for many, many years.
Yes, they are obligate carnivores, but they are also not out having to catch their own meals (at least, hopefully not). But you will have many members that are happy with grain free diets for their cats. Best to consult with your vet.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats are allergic to every grain-free food that I can buy at either Petco or Petsmart. So, no, it's not necessarily an improvement on other brands.

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m my opinion, it’s more about the carbs. Since cats are obligate carnivores, they need high protein, low (or even no) carbs. Grain-free USUALLY means that the food has fewer carbs, but sometimes it doesn’t which is why it’s important to check the carb content too. I usually use the “grain-free” label as a helpful indicator to look further into the carb content, but to me it’s a good sign.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m my opinion, it’s more about the carbs. Since cats are obligate carnivores, they need high protein, low (or even no) carbs. Grain-free USUALLY means that the food has fewer carbs, but sometimes it doesn’t which is why it’s important to check the carb content too. I usually use the “grain-free” label as a helpful indicator to look further into the carb content, but to me it’s a good sign.
I totally agree: it's a useful term but only as a starting point in finding high-protein, low-carb foods. Grains aren't good for cats so that's one item checked off but then I need to be sure there aren't any potatoes, peas, chickpeas, lentils, carrots, or other carby ingredients. Lots of plant-based ingredients that are now used as substitutes for grains, either as fillers or thickeners, just aren't good for cats. One of our cats vomits if she eats potato, so I completely understand what F FakeGourmet is saying about having problems with grain-free foods. Way too many of those foods have ingredients that cats just shouldn't be eating.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All other things being equal, I think it stands to reason that feeding a grain-free food to an obligate carnivore is preferable to feeding them grain.

It's the "all other things being equal" part where you have to be careful, though. A food is not automatically good simply because it doesn't include grain - you also have to check the protein content, protein sources, carbs, fillers and additives, etc. It's not as simple as anything avoiding grain = a guaranteed better food.

Most cats will survive without grain-free food. Unless they have an allergy or food sensitivity, it is typically not mandatory to avoid grain. Personally, though, I think it's a better nutritional choice when it's feasible.

Last edited: