Your family history

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Do you know which group he was with?? I have a full list for one of the groups (George Hicks detachment).

I have some family that still lives on the land they were given in Indian Territory.
No I do not, my gran only had very vague memories of the stories he had shared, and now she is gone too.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

No I do not, my gran only had very vague memories of the stories he had shared, and now she is gone too.
There are actually pretty good records of the Cherokee. If your g-g-grandad was head of household then he will be listed on one of the lists. If he was young, then his father will be listed. Some of the Roll applications have tons of info and they are easy to get copies of if you are ever interested

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That site is useless for me. I don't have a last name. I've just got a patronym.

Basically how the naming system works where I'm born is that you take the fathers first name and then splice "son" (for er... son) or "dóttir" (for daughter) at the end of it. So if my dad first name were Tom (which his isn't) my last name would be Tomsdaughter and if I were male it'd be Tomson.

This used to be the case in England as well so all the last names ending in "son" are relics of that system.

I do know my family history though, Icelanders have always been crazy about keeping records. There's a free online database you can get access to and query and I managed to trace my lines back to year 900 or so. It was good fun.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It says my last name is English, yet all 4 of my grandparents (maternal and paternal) emigrated to the US from Italy in the early 1900's. I still have relatives living in Italy.

My grandfather had his life saved by Sergeant Benito Mussolini! He's a hero in my family!

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Weird. It says my last name is English.....yet my family on that side is from Russia
My great grandad was a Russian rabbi in the NY area from what i know about him....he came to the US from Russia and was the first one to gain American citizenship on that side of the family. My great grandma was Polish....she came over around the same time he did and that's where they met. (her family members who stayed behind were killed during WWII
). So as far as i understand...It should be a Russian surname, but then again my last name is weird- no telling
I'm now confused
I'd love to learn more though!
same here....my great grandparents were from russia and they said English....and Frazier is scottish? I don't know much about my dad's side, other then that he was half german, though i can't remember my O-ma;s orginal last name....

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was found!

It was right actually..German background..and all the first names of the first ancestors are names my cousins or relatives have. That is cool!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't actually put much faith in those types of things. I think they are more for amusement than accuracy. I've seen these kinds of things at the malls too - someone is making a fast buck.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

There are actually pretty good records of the Cherokee. If your g-g-grandad was head of household then he will be listed on one of the lists. If he was young, then his father will be listed. Some of the Roll applications have tons of info and they are easy to get copies of if you are ever interested
I actually would be very interested, I'll have to get my gran's maiden name from my mom and see what I can find.