Your cats names..who and why?

violentdayzie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, if we're going to go into previous cats, I had two others:

Shadow - was my childhood cat and was solid grey. Rather unimaginative, I know, but when he got to be a big ol' 20 pounder, it was a bit funny.

Havok - My best friend found him as a lost little baby under one of those big central air conditioner units all by himself, maybe about a month or so old, and wasn't able to raise him - so I took him. He was a tabby Maine Coon type - the sort that look half bobcat, with the big ear tufts (rocker hair!), and looked like he had eyeliner on, so she named him after Davey Havok of the band AFI. When the Maine Coon roots really hit him and he got to be gigantic and had the tough guy semi-feral streak, it seemed to me like the Havok from the x-men comic books was more appropriate. This is the poor cat that I had to give up about a year later when I became homeless, and I didn't think I'd ever have another pet in my life after that. It took some years before I stopped feeling so badly about that situation that I could let another cat adopt me. I take my commitments to my animals VERY seriously.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by violentdayzie

Hmm, if we're going to go into previous cats, I had two others:
me, too - my very 1st cat was Medley - a tortoiseshell, named for her 'medley of colors'.
then Smoke, a seal pointed DSH.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my boys came from a high-kill shelter -- several were surrenders and thus already had names.

The only one I did name was my big, fluffy black boy -Archie. It just popped into my head!

And it suits him b/c he flops down on his back all the time and aarrrrrches so we will rub his belly!

Archie, Jake and Ghost and sometimes Prowler will come when called.

so - my boys are Archie, Jakie, Prowler, Ghost, Tex (often called Lil Tex, Lil Dude and if I am ticked off - Lil Doofus!
) and Rex. And all the diminuitive, cutesy take offs on their names ... ie: Jakemeister, Prow-prow, Ghoster-coaster... you get it.

Oh and I forgot Casper since I am trying to rehome him. I often call him Cass.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Milo - I was four(?) and loved the movie "milo and otis". Milo, being orange, was named after that Milo.

Mikey - all our house cats names have started with the letter "M"

Chester - It just fits him and his personality

Jack & Jill - the names just fit.

Crystal - named after a friend of mine

Haddie - named after her aunt (Hadassah)

Amiga - my friendly little girl

Lynx - my school's mascot is a lynx. Other than that I don't know how he got that name.

Aimee and Allie - I name cats that people rescued and brought to me after the rescuer's initials. In this case their first name started with an "A"

Storm - white, longhaired cat. You can't name a male cat Snowball though...so he was named Storm which also goes with his personality

Buddy - my buddy - what else?

Missy - used to be Mister and was named that because (s)he had really good manners. Except I never really got to check whether it was a boy or a girl and just called her Mister. A case of a mistaken identity!

Shadow - he lurks in the shadows

Blizzard - I just name siamese cats names like Blizzard, Avalanche, etc.

Panther - Lynx's sister. The name just suits her as her and brother where feral kittens and lived on their own when their mom died when they were a few weeks old. However as the "mighty hunters" that they are they caught and killed canned food

Clover - named that by her former mom and dad

Cleo - named that by her former mom and dad

Nightmare - I held him once when he was a kitten and he seriously looked like he was in the middle of a nightmare. Can't blaim him as he was semi-feral. But that's why he has that name.

Rajah - named that by the shelter

Err, did I get them all???

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are named on an 'Alien' theme (one of my favourite films):

Ripley - because she's a red tabby we originally were going to call her Jones after the ship's cat in the film. But as she's a girl she ended up with Ripley. She's a feisty little thing so it suits her! Her full name is Ripley Marmalade Miggins and she is also known as Mrs Miggins, Minnie the Moocher, Princess when she's good and Madam when she's naughty.
(Btw I once filled in a market research questionnaire in the name of 'Ellen Ripley' on her behalf to get a free box of chocolates and she sometimes gets post addressed to her
She didn't want the chocs so I ate them!)

Newt - after the little girl in 'Aliens', it just seemed logical! Her full name is Newt Roly Poly Pudding. She is also known as Shortcrust, Sweetie Pie but most commonly as Pud, Pud-Pud or Pudding. There's a Beatrice Potter story about a naughty kitten called Tom & that's where the Roly Poly Pudding bit comes from. Tom is naughty & hides up the chimney. Two rats Mrs & Mrs Whiskers capture him & try wrap him in pastry and make a pudding out of him. I keep telling that's what will happen to her if she's naughty, I'm not sure she believes me though!

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Storm was originally named Cheyanne, it was clear that after a few days it wasn't fitting her at all. DH kept calling her 'mutant' because of all her toes so we started to think or 'mutant' names. Best one, "Storm" from the X-men. Her 'full name' is Storm Cat and it gets yelled quite frequently when she's in crazy cyclone mode tearing through the house! lol

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat names are pretty self-explanatory.

Batman - he's all black

Patches - she's a calico

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, before I got Bella her name was Kitty. That was so generic. And I thought it was neglectful that my friend couldn't even give her a proper name!! I chose "Bella" because it means beautiful. It fits her spirit so well. And, of course, she IS easy on the eyes too

catmanrob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shadow She's a dark gray Russian Blue. She's also named after my old cat Frisky's mother.

Spaz My sister named her kinda as a joke and it stuck.

Ash He's also gray like Shadow, but lighter.

Bitty I called him Itty Bitty as a kitten, but shortened it to just Bitty.

Pancake She was born with flat chested kitten syndrome, the name just fit. Note: She's perfectly fine now.

Arlene She's the third in my tradition of naming cats after characters from the Garfield comic.

Popeye As a kitten, it took forever for one of his eyes to open.

Princess She acts like a little spoiled princess, although diva is probably more accurate.

Bogart Named after one my family's first cats we had back in the 70's

Spartacus Named after the famous Roman gladiator, well actually named after the character from the current TV series on Starz.

buttercup29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zipper wasnt named by myself but by my son and his then girlfriend because she was theirs first. I just agreed to let her stay here until they got their own place and No I wouldn't get attached.
She came by her name because of the silly way she ran. It was like someone had lit her behind. I would changed her name once we said we wanted her but the name suited her. She should have been called Houdini as she could get out of anywhere silently.
Liam and Darby are brothers and I wanted Irish names and DH came up with these two names and I liked the sound of it.

siberian77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our boys' names are both Russian, given that they're Siberian cats. Before we got our first one, I had "Albus" (as in Dumbledore from Harry Potter) picked out, but we found that it didn't super suit our guy when he got home. We had always been interested in calling him a Russian name, but we could only think of names like "Vladmir"! After we got him, I went and looked at a full list of Russian boys' names, and immediately we fell in love with "Lev," pronounced lee-ev. As the actor Liev Schreiber anglicized his name somewhat, we thought we would too, and our first guy was christened Liev! It's perfect, as it means Lion in Russian and Heart in Hebrew, so he's our little lionheart.

We named our second guy the minute we saw his picture, and it fits him to a T - his name is Yuri, and he's a little jokester, always wanting to be the centre of attention and meowing up a storm.

In the end, their names suited them so well - Liev is very magestic and stoic, while Yuri is a little imp.

honeylioness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the last 10 years or more all my cats have been named after people in the Bible.

It started with Shadrach - who was a large orange tabby I took in from the vet when his owner died. Like his namesake he knew how to go his own way and stand his ground. He passed of bone cancer about six years ago.

Then there were Mary and Abraham who were adopted as a bonded pair from the MSPCA at the ages of 10 and 12 respectively. Their original names of Gumbo and Boots just did not work at all. Mary was the ultimate mothering type who would groom and fuss over any cat that let her. Abraham was regal and more aloof - a real patriarch.

Tigger - okay, an exception to the rule. However when he moved in with me and his first "mom" he already knew and responded to this name - so changing it was not in the cards.

Naomi - This one has a dual meaning. As we believe she is part Japanese bobtail and has only a little powder puff on her butt well .... Naomi is not only an oft used name in Japan, but the story of Naomi and Ruth is one of the briefest in the Old Testament ... or in other others words ... the shortest tale/tail.

Jericho - When I took him in "just until I could find him a good home" ....yeah, like none of you have ever said the same thing
he was being called J.C. for Jersey Cow because of his black and white markings. What I discovered about him quickly was that his howling could not only go on for incredibly long amounts of time - but it was ear splitting. I thought "Yeesh, this noise could have brought the walls of Jericho down" ... and bingo, I had his name.

David - My recently acquired feral or abandoned kitty he is in rough physical shape with a disfigured ear from fighting and wounds on his back from the same struggle to survive. But survive he has. So naming him David after another great warrior seemed appropriate. Added to the fact that King David also had quite the reputation as a Ladies' Man and David d'Khat is not yet fixed ... well, the similarities were too good to pass us on the obvious name.

hypersaurusrex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance and I named our two little girls after two characters in our favorite webcomic "Questionable Content". They are named Dora and Faye.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jack came to us with that name. It was also my husband's father's name so we kept it. The family thinks we're weird.

Lily was named after Lillian Disney, Walt Disney's wife. We're massive Disney geeks.

Boo was named after Boo in Monster's Inc.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love these types of threads

While they are mine, my kittens are all beatles named, as are my mice.
I have Ringo, Lennon and Lucy. Lucy really seems to fit her too- she always seems a bit spaced out, poor darling, lol