Your asked to make a speech..........

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it would depend, but i think i'd be ok doing the speech to trainees, as long as i knew the job well enough

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am used to giving speeches and writing them for other people, and now I teach the students how to write and deliver presentations and speeches. Anyone can do it, just remember a couple of basic principles - SPEAK SLOWLY - when you are nervous you tend to speak too fast. Stop every now and again, take a deep breath, and then continue. And make eye contact with your audience from the beginning. When you are new at it, you look anywhere but at the audience. If you single out a couple of people at the start, one near the front, one near the back, and talk as if to them personally, you will get the right pace and also speak loud enough for everyone to hear. It goes without saying that your notes etc are well prepared, and you have rehearsed a couple of times, looking in a mirror is a good idea. Good luck!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I love it - what, being the centre of attention??? Fantastic!!!!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a speach, Susie!
I also had to take a Public Speaking course in college. I dropped it the first 2 times! Finally on the 3rd try, I ended up making an A, but not because I was enjoying myself, that's for sure! Like E said, I tried to remember that noone in my audience would enjoy being up there either. They're not there to judge your performance, but to support you. I know you'll be well prepared, and you'll be great!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't give speeches - I was never any good at it. I found my forte in singing to crowds. I guess in a way it's the same because you still have that fear of the crowd inside - you just sort of learn to use that fear positively. I suppose in a way with music you can switch off.... I dunno. I've only given a couple of speeches, but they were at weddings and I could let my little sense of humour creep in
You get used to it after a while though and before you know it, it's all done

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it. I used to have trouble in front of people, back in school... but then got over it real quick. Now I just love to be up in front of a group! I have a loud mouth so I think I was meant for that sort of thing.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
For the most part I'm okay with it. I taught for two years and now I give health workshops in front of groups and it's easy. Not sure how I would feel if it was in front of a whole group of strangers. My voice really carries well, another term for big mouth. But I believe that's genetic, New Yorkers must have big mouths..it's the law. If you don't have a big mouth you are kicked out and made to live in Delaware.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

...New Yorkers must have big mouths..it's the law. If you don't have a big mouth you are kicked out and made to live in Delaware.