Youngest fosters I've had

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He was eating up to 3 mls each feeding. I'm feeding every two hours. Now he has regressed to only one ml each feeding. He sucks it down on his own but after the first, turns his head and doesn't want more. Should I put some in his cheek? He will swallow it, just didn't want to give him too much.
What if to give him his 1 ml each hour?   Would it work for you?    Otherwise, yes try to put in some at the cheek.

The alternative is to give him some water or even better, pedialyte bought or home made, inbetween the feedings. Dehydration is always a threat, not leaast. now when he ates less.

You know of the trick to spark in some energy before feeding, by having some glucose sugar on his gum?  If you dont have proper glucose sugar, so white caro syrup or honey, are OK.

If he is fading so he is fading, but it were a great pity if the spirale down can be stopped.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already did the kayro syrup on his gums. He won't suck anymore but I can definitely give one more each hr

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One ml each hour

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay poop sounds fine, blood is from irritated bowels/intestines.

While there may be a parasite there, it's fine and will be dealt with later at an older age, as long as the poop is not pouring out liquid so we'd have to worry about dehydration, it's fine for now. Correct color too.

What IS concerning is your last post.

You can not allow him to decide how much he eats, and must get 3 mls every feeding as usual, I know he will fight it but just take your time and go slow, otherwise he will decline and will not make it.

Just get him through this period, when they pull this I believe they are trying to slide downhill and not survive.

It is up to you to get that formula in to him just as always, same amts. VERY critically important.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So 3 ml each hour or every two hours?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He had been eating 3 ml per feeding but has declined, I just made him eat one ml. Slowly putting in his cheek a little at a time.
I dont know if you saw Catwomans further question as it was an Edit:

Does he has a heat pad in his  bedding?  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So 3 ml each hour or every two hours?
As little as he is, its 3ml every two hours.

8ml / oz / day, as minimum, so  you can recount yourself

say he is very small, 60 gram at birth.   He will need minimum 16 ml a day,  12 feedings, gives about 1,5 ml per feeding.

say he is smallish but fully normal, 90 grammes, it gives 24 ml a day,  12 feedings every second hour, gives  at least 2 ml per feeding.

As you probably jump over some feeding at night, it will be more at each feeding.

If you give every hour, you may allow to give less every time, about 1 ml....

Last edited:

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had still been eating at least 2 ml until about 6:30, what could have changed that fast?

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Heating pad is a yes

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had still been eating at least 2 ml until about 6:30, what could have changed that fast?
no head pad in his bed?   Its not enough with nice warm filts, he must have an active heat source too.   You are kangoroo carrying him now, that should help if its this problem.

too little water takes forces from them.

This is the two which comes to my mind at this moment.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has always had a heating pad in his bed.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Babies this small/young will turn very fast. The biggest thing and best chance you have at hopefully pulling him through this little bump is to make certain that formula gets in his tummy.

It doesn't matter if he fusses, he doesn't know what's good for him now, and it's so hard to turn them around once they are actively headed downhill.

So feeding is number 1 important.

Do you have a weight?

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's had well over 8 mls since 12 am today. No the store I stopped at didn't have a scale, yesterday. I haven't left to go to a bigger store yet.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need a shower but I'm scared if I put him in his bed he will be gone when I come back.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need a shower but I'm scared if I put him in his bed he will be gone when I come back.
We understand.

Lets hope he will wait for you back.  Talk and explain, and hope.   YOU must recharge your batteries you too.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let's assume he is 4 oz, that means he needs 32 mls per day.

If he is 3 oz, 24 mls per day.

If you feed every 2 hours, because it's time consuming, feed, for instance at 8:00, 10:00, 12:00, regardless of what time he finished. If you start feeding at *:00, but don't finish until 8:20, you will still be feeding again at 10, so you are feeding 12 times round the clock.

3 mls every 2 hours is what I would go for, not knowing his weight.

It won't hurt him if it's a bit more and he really doesn't weight 4 oz. It's very important right now.

Also I think I missed, why do you think he is not going to make it? What signs are you seeing?

Last edited:

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More pretty formed poop, 3 mls in just now.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He used to make a lot of noise when hungry and would waddle around yelling before settling down for sleep. Today he has been lethargic, I had to wake him up for each feeding, he goes right back to sleep. And a very tiny meow, if at all.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, does sound like he is trying to check out.

But you fight for him, try your best to turn him around. They go downhill easily but with vigilance he can also be turned around.

Is he fed on his tummy? 

Status
Not open for further replies.