youngest age to get pregnant?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbours 7 weeks old kitty got out today, I found her in my side yard with a stray male, it seems he was trying to mate with her. He was meowing and biting her neck and trying to mount her.

Is it possible for a kitty so young to get pregnant? When i took her home they said she hadn't shown any signs of being in heat.

BTW they have a spay appointment for next week and she is an indoor kitty, just slipped out today it seems.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
7 weeks is too young to go into heat, but also really too young to sneak out! If she is 7 months she could very well have gone into heat, and snuck out. They should take her in next week for her spay appt.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The youngest I have heard of is 4 months of age...so your kitten should be ok...but it's a good thing she is getting spayed next week and will be an indoor cat.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I agree it is too young to be sneaking out. That is what they told me though.
I will keep an eye out for her in the future to see what they are doing with her.

I'll let them know that she is too young to get pregnant and not to worry. Thanks

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My question is why in the world are they letting a 7 week old kitten outside?????? Or was that a typo, lawdy I hope it was!

Cats are induced ovulators, so it doesn't matter if she was in heat or not ... the act of mating causes the ovum to drop and if there is sperm in the reproductive system, she can get pregnant no matter that she isn't in estrus.

She should be spayed now.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Oh yes, I agree it is too young to be sneaking out. That is what they told me though.
I will keep an eye out for her in the future to see what they are doing with her.

I'll let them know that she is too young to get pregnant and not to worry. Thanks
If she is in fact, only 7 weeks old, then the chances of her becoming pregnant are very small, but that still brings me back to my original question ... WHY is she outside at all?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gayef i have no clue how she got out, please be clear this is NOT my kitty, nor is she at my house

The neighbours said she got out
I have already volunteered to take her in if they can't care for her. I tried to convince them that she is too young to be away from her mother but it fell upon deaf ears. I was more than happy to have her come and be with my momma and 9 week old babies.
The most I could do was give them the name of my vet to at least spay her and they have set up the appointment.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

gayef i have no clue how she got out, please be clear this is NOT my kitty, nor is she at my house

I have already volunteered to take her in if they can't care for her. I tried to convince them that she is too young to be away from her mother but it fell upon deaf ears. I was more than happy to have her come and be with my momma and 9 week old babies.
The most I could do was give them the name of my vet to at least spay her and they have set up the appointment.
Thank-you for trying your best for this kitty. I hope all goes well.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Only 7 weeks? Are you sure the cat is only 7 weeks? Is that what the neighbors told you? She shouldn't be able to get pregnant at 7 weeks.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, I am breathing normally now *grin*

Thank you for doing what you can. That's all we can do, isn't it?

~gf~