Young vs Old

docdonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 18 year old and a 5 year old. I feed my older cat several meals a day with food and a liquid treat to stimulate his appetite. My young cat is obese because he thinks he should be fed every time too. I can't let him eat all the time because he's too heavy and already has difficulty breathing. What's a mother supposed to do? The young now gets aggressive if I don't feed him.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm about to adopt my foster cat who is a major piggy and needs to be kept from gaining too much weight, as well as about to adopt a kitten, who'll need to eat twice as much food as an adult cat. I'm wondering this myself. So far, only thing I can think of is to feed the kitten in a separate room.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, one eats in garage, one eats in back bedroom and one eats outside or in kitchen(feral) my two indoor cats do not like each other and I want the feral to feel relaxed. One day I hope she joins us, I trapped her and had her spayed and rabies. I also give her oral flea treatments and food twice a day. They all eat canned twice a day. They were all strays.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

docdonna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions. I also feed them in separate rooms. If don't pick up the dish fast enough, Sammy (the young one) will sneak into my bedroom to polish off what's left and then goes to eat his own dish. I may have to close the bedroom door and give Rags (my old fella) a chance to eat at his own rate. Then open the door and pick up the dish. I paid very close attention to the behaviors this morning. Jealousy and piggy all in one cat. Yeah?!!

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to feed mine separately, my girl is underweight so I've been feeding her in several small meals because she'll only eat about 1 oz of wet at a time. I just reheat her food and offer it to her every few hours. If I leave all her food out, her brother will scarf it down. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions. I also feed them in separate rooms. If don't pick up the dish fast enough, Sammy (the young one) will sneak into my bedroom to polish off what's left and then goes to eat his own dish. I may have to close the bedroom door and give Rags (my old fella) a chance to eat at his own rate. Then open the door and pick up the dish. I paid very close attention to the behaviors this morning. Jealousy and piggy all in one cat. Yeah?!!
I give them an hour to eat

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to close the bedroom door and give Rags (my old fella) a chance to eat at his own rate. Then open the door and pick up the dish. I paid very close attention to the behaviors this morning. Jealousy and piggy all in one cat. Yeah?!!
This helped us normalize our cats' eating: they're young littermates but one is a fast eater, the other is slow. I shut the slow eater in a room to eat some of her meals so the fast eater won't come and finish her food. The best thing is that the slower eater now eats at a more normal pace and the faster eater isn't quite as aggressive. They've gotten so much better that we can now feed them more meals in the same room.