Young Mother Cat Abandoned Kitten

Cakeykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a year ago my sisters landlord picked up this baby kitty who at the time couldn't be more then 5-6 months old, this baby kitty was an ally cat and just got really friendly with the apartment family's, about a week ago they found out she had gotten pregnant wasnt long after ahe gave birth to 4 kittens, due to her being an ally cat she didnt have any of her shots and 3 of the kittens died due to malnutrition and infection, the last kitten mom has rejected and will not nurse this kitten, she often will lick and bathe the cat but she will also kick the cat and almost bite and chew on it if it is a cat toy, I have also seen her run up to it and cling to it as if she was playing with it.

I really wonder if it would be best to remove the kitten from the mother sence were trying to do what we can for it and mom is disinterested anyways, if anyone has advice for my sister that would be extremely helpful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you sis is ready to foster and adopt the kitten / find a home, its surely the best to remove the kitten from momma. This way giving it a chance to a life, ie being fostered and adopted...

Swell if somebody could help the momma to be spayed.
Do you need help with finding a low cost clinic?
Just give us the city your sis live in.

About a year ago my sisters landlord picked up this baby kitty who at the time couldn't be more then 5-6 months old, this baby kitty was an ally cat and just got really friendly with the apartment family's, about a week ago they found out she had gotten pregnant wasnt long after ahe gave birth to 4 kittens, due to her being an ally cat she didnt have any of her shots and 3 of the kittens died due to malnutrition and infection, the last kitten mom has rejected and will not nurse this kitten, she often will lick and bathe the cat but she will also kick the cat and almost bite and chew on it if it is a cat toy, I have also seen her run up to it and cling to it as if she was playing with it.

I really wonder if it would be best to remove the kitten from the mother sence were trying to do what we can for it and mom is disinterested anyways, if anyone has advice for my sister that would be extremely helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten? Is the kitten able to eat soft food yet?

It is normal for mama cats to “discipline” their kittens beginning at a few weeks old. It’s how they learn kitten manners.

Has the mother cat been spayed yet? She needs to be or she will be pregnant again soon. Please keep her inside.

Thanks for caring! :)