Young Males Play Fighting

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good day all ! 

I have two young male cats, 1 and 2 yrs old, I adopted the 1 yr old in January, and the two year old in February. They got along really well right away. I was surprised. I didn't even do a staggered introduction over a few days. I just let them meet each other, and they were just cool with the idea of each other, I guess. They spar day and night. Reggie the 1 yr old is usually the aggressor, and usually not the one to back down. Mack, the 2 yr old enjoys the play fighting, and sometimes initiates it in a very subtle way, but usually wants to quit first. I've never had two male cats at the same time, so I'm learning new things. The sparring does not involve hissing, wailing, or any typical aggravated body language. They basically just hug each other really tight and paw at each other with their claws in. It's mostly really quite cute. But I do get concerned sometimes with Mack usually wanting to get away first. I know they are best buds, but I can't help but be alarmed with the intensity of some of the sparring.

Also, I've never known any cat to make that "KEK" sound when they are chasing something, it's like some sort of primal response to heightened stimulus.

Any words of wisdom from an experienced hand?

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @CatGuy81

That sounds like typical male cat behavior. Are they both neutered? If they are then you don't have anything to worry about, they will continue to wrestle and chase each other around for fun.

My boys do the same thing.

A serious cat fight is usually preceded by a lot of yowling and posturing. If they are just wrestling and then hissing a bit to let the other know when they've had enough it's all good.

By "Kek" do you mean the chattering sound that cats make when they see something they want to pounce on?

That's normal too. I've heard that cats are practicing their "Kill bite" when they chatter their teeth like that. It's sweet, isn't it? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi @CatGuy81

That sounds like typical male cat behavior. Are they both neutered? If they are then you don't have anything to worry about, they will continue to wrestle and chase each other around for fun.

My boys do the same thing.

A serious cat fight is usually preceded by a lot of yowling and posturing. If they are just wrestling and then hissing a bit to let the other know when they've had enough it's all good.

By "Kek" do you mean the chattering sound that cats make when they see something they want to pounce on?

That's normal too. I've heard that cats are practicing their "Kill bite" when they chatter their teeth like that. It's sweet, isn't it?

They are neutered. I'm getting used to it now, they seem to enjoy it and it seems to help bond them.

The KEK sound is one they both make when I'm running my hand under the bed covers, and they pounce on it, sometimes going "KEK!" when they do it, super excited like.