Young male uninterested in mating

Rxchel123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am a new breeder and two Abyssinians I have been showing but now it’s time to breed. They are both 14 months old. The female went into heat 17 days ago ( only for 2 days) and now she is in her second heat. My male had interest in her during the first day and was calling, sniffing, following and standing over her, but not gripping her neck ( or very poorly) so she was able to crawl away! He doesn’t know what to do, but now I’m worried as it’s the second day and he’s completely lost interest while she’s still in raging heat. I know they haven’t done anything as i have cameras. I let them sleep together last night and they in fact did just sleep 🤣. I did get these cats at the same time and now I’m worried as another breeder told me I’d have to get a new male. I really want things to work out. The funny thing is in the past he has actually mounted her and went on her back a couple times (tmi) but she wasn’t even in heat during this time!! I’m so confused and lost what to do. I feel like I have made a big mistake getting them at the same time and it really upsets me to think of having to potentially rehome him, they have both come so far in showing. I’m now concerned of pyo and there’s no available males here that aren’t unrelated to her! It is winter and I wonder if this has an effect on testosterone? Is there anything I can do to help them? They are both first timers. I have separated them for now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am a new breeder and two Abyssinians I have been showing but now it’s time to breed. They are both 14 months old. The female went into heat 17 days ago ( only for 2 days) and now she is in her second heat. My male had interest in her during the first day and was calling, sniffing, following and standing over her, but not gripping her neck ( or very poorly) so she was able to crawl away! He doesn’t know what to do, but now I’m worried as it’s the second day and he’s completely lost interest while she’s still in raging heat. I know they haven’t done anything as i have cameras. I let them sleep together last night and they in fact did just sleep 🤣. I did get these cats at the same time and now I’m worried as another breeder told me I’d have to get a new male. I really want things to work out. The funny thing is in the past he has actually mounted her and went on her back a couple times (tmi) but she wasn’t even in heat during this time!! I’m so confused and lost what to do. I feel like I have made a big mistake getting them at the same time and it really upsets me to think of having to potentially rehome him, they have both come so far in showing. I’m now concerned of pyo and there’s no available males here that aren’t unrelated to her! It is winter and I wonder if this has an effect on testosterone? Is there anything I can do to help them? They are both first timers. I have separated them for now.
I will try to answer, and perhaps also fill up. My residents were working studs, swords for hire, in Russian Blue... 3 of them in a straight line.

OK, if they are livining together friends, its quite common he doesnt ignite on her. The trick is to have an especial mating chamber, so he recognizes here is something extra going on, and he is perhaps supposed to do something about it.

Perhaps you have some hotel nearby allowing cats? Hire a room, and take them there! (yes, we did so too with our latest stud, now a happy rentieer. It was succesfull this too).

Another trick is to let him meed some experienced female, so she will show him the ropes...

Ps. How was she, was she willing to mate? Laid down when he come near?

A good male knows how to beleguer and court, and goes on when she is willing... But there are variations.

Proceed to write, I will perhaps come with more remarks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rxchel123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your response. She is very interested in him, throwing herself at him any opportunity she gets, holding position and following him around. He had some attempts the first day but none after that. He does call out to her, but that’s all. I did try breeding them 2 weeks ago, but considering she is in heat again I don’t think anything occurred. She’s very eager, and it surprises me that he isn’t because when she wasn’t in heat he would be trying to mount her when she was asleep!

Rxchel123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i also tried putting them in bathroom with food, water, litterbox and scratcher to check if he would be bored enough to do anything. He did stand over her, call and sniffing a lot, but he soon got so bored he spent the entire time sitting by the door waiting to come out 🤣

Rxchel123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to answer, and perhaps also fill up. My residents were working studs, swords for hire, in Russian Blue... 3 of them in a straight line.

OK, if they are livining together friends, its quite common he doesnt ignite on her. The trick is to have an especial mating chamber, so he recognizes here is something extra going on, and he is perhaps supposed to do something about it.

Perhaps you have some hotel nearby allowing cats? Hire a room, and take them there! (yes, we did so too with our latest stud, now a happy rentieer. It was succesfull this too).

Another trick is to let him meed some experienced female, so she will show him the ropes...

Ps. How was she, was she willing to mate? Laid down when he come near?

A good male knows how to beleguer and court, and goes on when she is willing... But there are variations.

Proceed to write, I will perhaps come with more remarks.
is it possible she is in heat and pregnant? Or is it normal nipples?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, its not impossible she is preg and in heat.... After all, it happens now and then a female carries two different litters simultaneously... Born perhaps 3 weeks apart.

R Rxchel123

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. The reddening of nipples happens typically quite exactly on day 21. If they mated 2 weeks ago, its not very probable nipples reddens already now.

Nothing ironclad, but probabilities are against.

Rxchel123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will check tomorrow, it would be 21 days then.