Young male cat won't eat after being neutered

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was neutered Friday and brought home that evening. But he's not really eating. He's pooped once shortly after we got home; he's peed a few times. But he's not really eating. He'll drink some water. And if I put canned food down he'll lick the juice off it but he won't eat the canned food or any kibble unless you put it in his mouth and make him chew to swallow. Why won't he eat? What can I do? I can't get ahold of the vet till Monday!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry your little one is having trouble after the teeth removal.  

Try getting some plain chicken baby food, one with no onion or garlic in it (Stage 1 I think they are called?).  Almost all cats like it and find it hard to resist. Getting calories into him right now is more important than the quality of the food - cats really need to eat daily or become at risk for other problems.  The baby food will be easy for him to lick at.  Maybe also pick up a small can of Cat and Kitten "milk" which will also provide much needed nutrition.  

He should see the vet asap since it's kind of out of the norm for him not to be able to eat after the dental.  Both times our cats had teeth removed, they were able to eat fairly well from the first day forward.  They had been given a long term pain reliever injected before we took them home. I wonder if your vet didn't do this?

Last edited: