Young male cat peeing unpredictably

zemily88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago I adopted a 3 year old male cat from the SPCA. He had been a stray and he wasn't sterilized. He's very sweet and social but he keeps peeing outside of his litter box! This is a major issue because I have two roommates who are not cat lovers to begin with. In the past three months he has peed on all our beds, dirty laundry, blankets, etc. I keep the litter box very clean and it's across the house from his food.

I've read that urinary infections can cause this sort of behaviour but he doesn't have any other symptoms, he eats well and is energetic. The vet did a physical recently and said he is in good health. He'll use the litter box perfectly for weeks and then randomly pee on a bed.

He is still not neutered because he needed two rounds of vaccines and we're still waiting for them to take effect. I have an appointment and it'll be done in two weeks, until then I'm trying to keep all the doors closed. My concern is that neutering may not solve the problem, because he's not spraying or acting territorial, just peeing. There aren't any other cats in the house and he never goes outside.

Needless to say, this is causing a lot of tension between me and my roommates. I've been doing everything I can and helping them clean their stuff but I feel terrible for putting them through this. They've told me if the peeing doesn't stop after he's been fixed then he has to go back to the SPCA. I've grown really attached to the little guy, and this would break my heart.

Does anyone have any advice or similar experience? Is it common for un-neutered males to pee on beds and clothes, and does this behaviour stop afterwards?

Thanks

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the peeing on the beds and your clothes could be related to the fact he is still entact but more likely related to him just not feeling secure in his surroundings. If it was related to the fact he is not neutered he would be spraying on the walls not peeing. Are you sure the SPCA did not neuter him before you adopting him? I have never heard the SPCA adopting out cats that aren't neutered. A UTI could be the cause also but usually you will have peeing near the box and it wouldn't be in the litter box for several weeks and then on the bed. But you really should probably have the vet test his urine asap so you know. It will be awfully painful to be neutered with a UTI right? You need to make sure. I think this is also an insecure behavior as well. I think for now you need to give your kitty an area where there is not a lot of people traffic and he can feel it is his. Maybe keeping him in a bedroom. Put all of his things in there. When you are home try to stay in that room with him and spent time with him. Let this go on until you get him neutered in a couple weeks. Bring him home to the same arrangement and then gradually introduce him to the rest of the apt or home. I think he was just introduced to too much too soon, Too many people and too many smells.

Last edited:

junocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, a cat with a UTI will not necessarily only have accidents near their litter box. They can also have a persistent UTI with particularly painful flareups that cause them to seek out soft places too pee, like beds or couches. They may still be painful the rest of the time, but it often goes unnoticed because they are able to make it to their litter box. I work at an animal hospital, and we see this all of the time. I really recommend bringing your cat into the vet to check for a UTI, or at least asking if you can drop off a urine sample. Two weeks may not seem like a long time, but cats are very stoic and UTIs can be very painful. Best of luck to you!