Young Male Cat Peeing In His Sleep

Kickflip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a young (7-12 week) male kitten and I let him sleep on my bed and he knows not to pee on the bed, but he only pees when he sleeps. When he does pee when he is awake he does it in the correct area but sometimes I can check where he woke up from a nap or wake up from me sleeping and find pee on the bed? Is this a behavioral or medical issue and how would I fix it?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens often pee in unmade beds because the blankets feel just right under the nails. Bathmats, laundry on floor or in basket, stuffed animals, throw rugs, couch blankets, all are potential magnets for mistakes.

If you are *sure* your kitten is sleeping, that is different of course. But you said that you sleep too, so how can you be sure? My guess is that this is just the normal kitten + attractive target for mistakes.

To fix you have to use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell & make sure the bed is tightly made so the kitten doesn't get that same feel beneath the nails. If that isn't enough - and it may not be, cause habit goes a long way - then you need to temporarily exclude the kitten from the room for a week or so, or at least sleep with a different looking and different textured blanket while you hide the target one away for the same week or so. As far as other targets, just because your kitten hits one doesn't mean it will hit the others, but it would probably be best to include this in your kitten proofing for a little bit. YMMV, but usually if you address the attractive targets properly the issue goes away.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have a vet check him. We had one cat that got hit by a car and broke her last vertebrae. She peed when she slept. Lots & lots of Sarah towels while she was alive plus daily rinse offs of her lower end. (So she didn't get pee ulcers on her private bits.) Sarah lived 10-12 years after her car accident, so it isn't a death sentence. Also there are some medications they can take to help heal their spinal cords a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kickflip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens often pee in unmade beds because the blankets feel just right under the nails. Bathmats, laundry on floor or in basket, stuffed animals, throw rugs, couch blankets, all are potential magnets for mistakes.

If you are *sure* your kitten is sleeping, that is different of course. But you said that you sleep too, so how can you be sure? My guess is that this is just the normal kitten + attractive target for mistakes.

To fix you have to use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell & make sure the bed is tightly made so the kitten doesn't get that same feel beneath the nails. If that isn't enough - and it may not be, cause habit goes a long way - then you need to temporarily exclude the kitten from the room for a week or so, or at least sleep with a different looking and different textured blanket while you hide the target one away for the same week or so. As far as other targets, just because your kitten hits one doesn't mean it will hit the others, but it would probably be best to include this in your kitten proofing for a little bit. YMMV, but usually if you address the attractive targets properly the issue goes away.

Well I know that he does it in his sleep because most the time it's just when he takes a nap on my bed I will see the sheets and there will be urine