Young Kitten Quickly Wasting Away

doshin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat that we thought was spaded which in the end wasn't. She had 2 kittens about a month ago. One seems to be doing very well but the other is just wasting away and is very weak now. It does eat a little still from its mother.

It seems to be going down hill rather quickly. We've had very bad experiences with the vet near us and I refuse to go there anymore. The next nearest is a bit further away from us, but we may well have to make the trip there it seems now.

Any suggestions around what I could do here quickly to help the little guy? I'm just not sure how long he's going to last after looking at him this afternoon.

Thank you....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , StefanZ StefanZ , @catwoman707, ashade1 ashade1 I know this kitten is likely doomed, but is there ANYTHING you can suggest to help her? I've seen you guys turn some really bad cases around!

I do know that ALL of these folks are going to tell you to get KMR and a bottle, right off of the bat. If you can't find KMR quickly, canned goats milk from the baking aisle of the grocery store with at least get you started.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D doshin

Yes, you need to try to supplement the kitten right away.

Put honey on its gums to perk it up, and unflavored pedialyte syringed into it mouth a little at a time may buy it some time.

Unless it has a birth defect, it sounds like it may be slowly starving.

Can you get kitten formula and begin feeding with a syringe?

Please update.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. If the kitten is dying, so its dying. But if its "just" weak and starving, you can do very much.

Be sure its nicely warm. You may need to have some sort of heating pad. the weak ones are almost always freezing.

Perk it up by smearing its mouths and gumss with sweet honey water. Not pure honey, a weak can may have difficult to lick it off. Sweet water sweetened by honey. The glucose sugar in honey goes straigt into blood, doesnt need to be digested. If you dont have honey at home, you can use white caro syrup. Or glucose syrup.

You can even entice it to drink such a sweet water!

OK, give it supplement feeding, kmr or goats milk. I suppose it doesnt gets mutch from momma, he is perhaps a weak suckler. So you must yourself give it the most. I presume it will be around 80 ml of kmr or goats milk during a full day. So if you give 10 times a day, it will be 8 ml every time.
If it takdes bottle, good. If it doensnt wants bottle (many kittens whom have momma dont like bottle), you can try with a little sponge, for example such of make up type. Kitten suckles, and you drop on more with a dropper.

If he dont suckles this either, you must use a needleless syringe. Its the safest way to get into him, but also a little tricky.
You can begin with a dropper - more difficult but good enough to begin with. In the cornere of the mouth, slowly so it manages to swallow well. Dont force in - better to give smaller portions but more often. You can wrap the kitten alike a burrito, its easier to hold it then.

Burp afterwards.

You can give the kitten massage with a little towel, or a toothbrush...

Begin asap, begin with with honey water. Fight on!

And please come back and report regularly.

D doshin

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything that the others have said! How is the kitten doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doshin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for everyone's generous help here!
Fortunately, he's shown some significant improvement since yesterday after performing
a type of energetic healing method on him.

I will keep all this here in mind however if needed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH good! Feeling a bit better about this little one now. If his improvement is very slow, consider some supplemental feedings, as well.