Young Kitten Homing Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mankindben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Mamabirdy, yes indeed I did :) I am a semi-professional photographer along side my day job and couldn't resist the opportunity to snap a few shots of the girls as they grow up :) I'm glad you like the photos!

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The one of Florence chewing on what looks like a collar is brilliant. The definition of the fur on her head is awesome. How do you get them to sit and pose so nicely, I can't get my babies to sit still long enough to take photos like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mankindben

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha, infact that is a wand toy. The real trick to getting photos that are sharp and well defined is to get plenty of light so the camera can use a faster shutter speed. The faster the shutter, the less need there is for the cats to remain still :) These shots were taken about about 1/250th of a second using a flash pointed at the ceiling for extra light :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
They get more adorable all the time.

Coaxing Pepper with treats or a toy to come closer to whatever is scaring her might work, but her fear of the unknown will probably subside naturally as she grows and observes how Florence reacts to "scary" objects. Just verbally reassuring a kitten that something isn't going to hurt her helps. As far as Florence covering her feces: She has the general idea, so that might improve. Some cats just don't bother, or only do it part of the time. Pepper may start doing it for her, too. I know some people show kittens how to do it, but that could result in her thinking it's your job, not hers. :lol3:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There are only a couple of questions I have, and I will try to explain below;

1) Pepper is still the less confident of the two. Its not too serious, as most of the time she is pretty brazen and will come right up to you for affection - but sometimes she gets quite nervous of the smallest things and on occasion will run and hide. This is improving slowly, but any advice on how to build her confidence in these important weeks would be much appreciated.

2) Florence seems to struggle with the concept of covering up her poo in the litter tray. Sometimes she scrapes the litter and manages to cover it a little, and sometimes she simply doesn't bother! Any pointers on how to help her learn?

They are now learning how to pounce properly, and tearing around the house at 100 miles per hour, which is good to see :) The best part (for me at least) is that in the evening they like to sit on our laps/on the sofa with us and sleep/watch TV for 30 mins or so at a time, which is wonderful :)
GAH those pictures are just too sweet! So glad to hear overall things are going well with them and that they are adjusting normally. All good news! As to your questions:

1) I fully agree that reassuring her with treats, pets, and positive praise are all critical in boosting her confidence. However, there is a big nature/nurture element here as well. Depending on your particular viewpoint, there is only so much we can do for the socialization process, and some things are just going to be inherent to Pepper's personality. There is a theory that Tortie cats are just more shy and more standoff-ish than other colors (because of the genetic makeup needed to produce the coloring has a tie to personality blah, blah, blah). Some buy it and some dont- you will have to do your own research there. 

What I know after raising many, many kittens and having two residents is that we can very much shape their personalities but only to a degree. You can do things like make her comfortable with the vacuum and other loud noises but you can't change her basic personality. And, it may just be that Pepper is more hesitant to the world around her. She will warm up, but she will do it on her own time and in her own way- and that is totally okay. I know for a fact that having Florence there will help make her more comfortable but again, even that only goes so far. 

Something interesting I recently read about is this idea of a 'challenge line.' Everyone (humans and animals alike) have them. It's your job to figure out what is Pepper's threshold and then slowly work her over it. So, to use a common example, maybe she is terrified of the vacuum. Start by putting her in a separate room with the door shut and one of you playing with her while the other goes into another room and runs it. Repeat this until she will fully engage in play or snuggles without being afraid of the vacuum. Then, do the same thing but with the door open and so on and so forth until she doesn't flinch when you turn it on. I think you get the picture.... Using the challenge line will help you help her overcome some of her more simple fears and hopefully make her less fearful. But, just know, she may always have some timid in her. 

2) I'm in full agreement with jcat on this one- some are buriers and some aren't. She may improve with time, or Pepper may start doing it for her, or it may stay the exact same. I too am weary of covering for her as she will assume it's your job, but I think if you can catch her right after she's gone and show her while she's looking there is some merit to that. If she continues to not bury and it's really bothersome you may want to consider getting a hooded litterbox. Just go slow with the transition to make sure they are both comfortable with it (add the new box uncovered next to the old box until they are comfortable with it. Then add the hood. Then remove the old box once both are using the hooded new one). 

Overall it sounds like things are great and they both seem to be thriving. Keep up the good work!!!!! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey!

Was just thinking about your girls the other day and wondering how they are doing! We need an update! 

Hope all is well!