Young Kitten And Cat

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Again!!Guess what iv'e got for you this time...So i am fostering a young about 4 week old kitten but i have a cat thats about a year old and shes just a mama's girl! Shes not too happy about the new addition to the family.How do i get her used to the kitten and to not attempt to kill it (she hasnt tried yet)And to stop hissing at it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had your girl spayed yet?

The cats absolutely need to be separated for now, and never left alone. The kitten should be in a small, kitten-proofed room and not allowed to wander.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you had your girl spayed yet?

The cats absolutely need to be separated for now, and never left alone. The kitten should be in a small, kitten-proofed room and not allowed to wander.
Alright,and she is spayed

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, here's an article that will help:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

It basically tells you, as talkingpeanut mentioned, to separate the cats. You then can try scent swapping. This is done by rubbing a piece of cloth on the new cat,
particularly on the cheeks and rubbing it on the resident cat, and vice versa. Or, alternatively, you could swap their bedding.

If that goes well, you can swap rooms, give the new cat a chance to explore the house gradually room by room without the other cat in it. This gives the new cat a chance to gain some confidence and make the place it's own.

Then they can move on to supervised visits, the article will give you the details, and it has useful tips.

You could also look at Jackson Galaxy's vid on youtube called "The best way to introduce cats."

Good luck and please update us on how things are going.