Young, healthy cat died suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Danny, I'm very sorry about your daughter's cat. It's quite possible that Ollie suffered from a heart defect or Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy , even at that young an age. Our 12-year-old cat suffers from it, and our vets have warned us that sudden death due to a blood clot or change in heart rhythm is a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sure is a shock to have such a young cat die suddenly, and it's happened to a lot of us. 

In addition to being hit by a car, it's possible for cats to be assaulted by cruel humans, poisoned (purposely or accidentally), and, depending on your location, bitten by poisonous snakes, etc. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry to hear of your loss Danny. I too lost a cat suddenly from an undetected heart condition.

I would like people who post here to note that this thread originally opened up in 2010. Danny revived the thread yesterday after the loss of his daughter's cat. The OP is no longer an active member.

danny barton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Thanks you all for you very kind messages. We have been to the vet today and i have also been told by the vet that he is 90% sure that it was Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Brooke my daughter is with me and really appreciates your kind words. We have been out today and got a special treat for her.

charlie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,I'm new on here and will put pic on soon,i had 5 cats until yesterday when my cat charlie boy suddenly died.he was a year and 2 months old and he was as healthy as can be.i have 5 cats,the moma cat just turned up at the house pregnant so she ended up staying with us.she had 5 kittens and we kept 2,the other 3 went to a friend.the other 2 i had already had as house cats because they nearly got hit by a lorry and boy racers.moma cat and her babies lived in my shed which we converted into a catio/cat house.they were let out in the day and locked in at night.

there shed was really cozy(will upload the pictures of that too)i bought two big beds,tunnels,toys,humungas litter tray that was cleaned constantly.anyway,i let them all in about 3 o clock in the afternoon(they always stuck together and followed me to the polly tunnel and played in there)when i fed them,only two of them ate food and charlie went into the catio area(which he always does)

i went to my bin to throw away the cat food wrappers,came back and charlie was still not eating,he would normally have a bit by now,so i went into the enclosure area where they would sunbave when in there together,i looked through the door and saw him(through a gap)so i called charlie boy as i always do.no movement so opened the door and he was laying there with his eyes wide open but dead.his tongue was also hanging out.i was stroking him 2 or 3 minutes before that and he was the happiest,liveliest one out of them.he was the only male so don't know if that means anything.he was amazing,the friendliest thing you could ever imagine.when it happened i ran into my house and told my mum(I'm 28)i said charlie was dead,my mum ran outside and checked him.i needed her to confirm it for some reason.i was nearly having a breakdown,I've never cried so much in all my life.when she said he was dead i felt like dying myself and i don't think i cared whether i died or not,i think i just wanted to be with him.

when they used to be let out of the catio in the morning i would stay with them for hours so they didn't go in any roads.i live in ireland and the garden is 2 acres.it was like a playground for them but i still watched them anyway(cats always want to explore past what they need to explore,we all know that:) ) moma cat walked off on her own because she was streetwise but the two babies were looked after constantly without any restriction of freedom.

before he was buried i was shaking him and begging for him to wake up.i thought he was going to suddenly just wake up and make a little noise.i gave him 2 big kisses on the head and my mum and dad buried him with me watching from a close distance,i had run out of tears by the time he was buried and just watched in pure....dont really know what the word is,it felt unfair and i was angry as hell because he was such a lovely boy.anyway,he is gone and he has a head stone with charlie boy on it.i looked after these kittens every day for over a year,i was scared of them getting attacked by dogs,run over,poisoned,you name it.in the end he suddenly died in the catio/enclosure,i would say his favorite spot but that was his bed(he was the first one on,last one off):)i lost my dog 8 years ago and that still haunts me today.charlie will take a lifetime to get over,i love him with all my heart.i really hope he is happy where ever he is and he didn't feel any pain when he left me.i was a dog person before i got my cats.this really is crap!!i feel like i need someone to blame,or someone should tell me how he died.anyway sorry about going on about it,i don't know how the hell I'm going to carry on without him.be nice if someone replied to my post.rip charlie xxx i know this sounds so cheesy but we all know how we feel.look forward to some kind of reply x

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so, so sorry for your loss of your Charlie Boy
.  My furbabies are my life, too!  I lost one of them earlier this year, and my heart is still grieving...I'll never forget him, or any of the ones before him.

No one will ever truly know what happened to your little guy, but at least you can take solace in knowing that he went so quickly, and that you were with him just a few minutes prior, loving him and seeing him so happy. 

When you feel up to it, you can post a tribute to Charlie Boy under the "Crossing the Bridge" forum, and maybe even post some pictures of him there.

Again, I am so sorry.

Run Free, Charlie Boy

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your losses 

I'll close this thread now, but when your ready please start a thread in the Bridge forum so we can all help your babies to cross over the Bridge 

Status
Not open for further replies.