Young Again Zero Mature And Cats With History Of Flutd?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Young Again Zero Mature live up to its claims that it's really that good for cats with urinary tract problems?

We recently started giving Buddy some of the LID formula as treats after his twice daily meds and supplements. To our surprise and delight, his appetite has really perked up for the first time since the last course of antibiotics wreaked such havoc on his system, thank God, and we haven't had to syringe feed him in a few days now that he's finally eating enough on his own again. And as an added bonus, Buddy hasn't been constipated as usual, and his poop looks great!

So we're kinda tempted to keep letting him have the LID formula as treats, and maybe even as an occasional meal when his appetite is off. But we've a little nervous about feeding him any kind of dry food since he hasn't had any further urinary tract problems after starting him on a wet food only, low-carb, fish-free diet three years ago.

I kinda feel like Fox Mulder from the X-Files. "I want to believe" the info on the Young Again site and their brochures. But I don't want to tempt fate, either. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, they do have some great claims. I feed Dr. Elseys, and while they don't really make claims about URI they do talk about the lack of plant material and very low oxalate in the food being helpful with preventing crystals. I would imagine it is the same with young again? No plant material, and low oxalate? If i try a different dry, i think young again will be the one i try.

I think one of the young again dry foods has guar gum? I have also read a bit about that helping cats that have a problem with constipation? Although most wet foods have guar gum as well.

I know my vet loves wet food, but i have one cat that will not eat wet. The vet says some just will not, and he sees a lot of cats that do fine on dry. Just keep trying with some wet, and make water very available, and change it often so that its more appealing. Each cat has their own needs, and if its working then thats what you do. I try to get at least 50 to 75 % of their food in wet form, but mine all get dry too.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how he does with the Young Again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, they do have some great claims. I feed Dr. Elseys, and while they don't really make claims about URI they do talk about the lack of plant material and very low oxalate in the food being helpful with preventing crystals. I would imagine it is the same with young again? No plant material, and low oxalate? If i try a different dry, i think young again will be the one i try.

I think one of the young again dry foods has guar gum? I have also read a bit about that helping cats that have a problem with constipation? Although most wet foods have guar gum as well.

I know my vet loves wet food, but i have one cat that will not eat wet. The vet says some just will not, and he sees a lot of cats that do fine on dry. Just keep trying with some wet, and make water very available, and change it often so that its more appealing. Each cat has their own needs, and if its working then thats what you do. I try to get at least 50 to 75 % of their food in wet form, but mine all get dry too.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how he does with the Young Again.
You're correct about the guar gum in Young Again, at least for the Zero Mature formulas, which are the only ones of interest to us at this time. :)

Up until recently, only one of the canned foods in Buddy's rotation contained guar gum (Natural Balance LID Venison and Green Pea), and he didn't get it that often. We just thought it would be simpler and less expensive to go with the Young Again LID Zero Mature formula, since it's something we could give Oscar as well. Bless his heart, it was just easier to let him eat kibble while we were dealing with a family emergency for several months, and the Young Again has come in handy as we try to get him transitioned back to wet food.

Buddy's diet is a bit of a mess these days. He's allergic to chicken, which triggers really wicked fungal infections around his nails and paw pads, as well as his ears. But at the moment, he has his heart set on eating chicken and a tiny bit of Young Again as treats after he gets his meds and supplements. We're grateful that he's finally interested in eating again, after having to syringe feed him off and on for nearly two weeks. But we'd like to get back to trying to get his food allergies sorted out as soon as we can, and in theory, the Young Again kibble sounds like it could be helpful as an interim measure to get some calories and nutrients into him in a manner that he actually enjoys.

On the other hand, I'd feel just horrible if in attempting to solve one problem, I accidentally create another one, i.e., re-triggering his urinary tract problems.

Ah, decisions, decisions! I always feel like we're playing a game of Whac-a-Mole atop a seesaw with Buddy. It seems like every time we and the vet manage to whack down one problem, another one pops up somewhere else, and it can be tricky to keep our balance as we keep whacking away. :wink:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd try contacting the company about that specific claim. They should be able to back it up somehow, which would help with the decision. Personally, I don't see a problem with continuing to give it to him as a treat and seeing how he reacts. Buddy being into a food is a huge thing on it's own.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the whac-a-mole. :)

If you can get enough moisture in him from other meals, and fountains and such i don't think the dry will hurt. IMO

At least with my guys, who have not, knock on wood, had blockages or kidney problems this is what my vet says. He wants me to get 50% to 75% of their daily calories in wet. Then he says its fine to supplement the rest of their needs with dry. And keep those water fountains and bowls of water full :)

Sometimes its just all you can do to find something they will eat. And eat they must, whether its what we want them to eat or not. So the Young again sounds like it may be a very good back up food for you!

I very much hope it helps him, and that nothing pops up! :crossfingers:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try contacting the company about that specific claim. They should be able to back it up somehow, which would help with the decision. Personally, I don't see a problem with continuing to give it to him as a treat and seeing how he reacts. Buddy being into a food is a huge thing on it's own.
Okily-dokily. The Young Again website includes a couple of articles that go into more detail re: the basis of their claims than the product info.
If I understand correctly, it appears that their claim is based on their food being so low in carbs (especially the Zero Mature formulas, which contain less than 1%).

Per the first article:

So, do cats have a poor thirst drive or are we just feeding them
the wrong food? We believe that feeding carbohydrates and
plant materials are responsible for cats maintaining a high
urine specific gravity. In 2004, a study was done to determine
the effects of dietary carbohydrates on the formation of struvite
crystals in urine.* The conclusion was that starch/carbs did
potentially stimulate the formation of struvite crystals. The
researchers recommended reducing the levels of starch/carbs
in a cat’s diet. This study also found another interesting fact,
when starch/carbs were added to a protein/fat diet and the
cats were allowed to eat free choice, urine volume went down.
When urine volume goes down specific gravity generally goes
up. It would appear that carbs decrease the cat’s desire to
drink water.​

And a bit further down in the same article:

On the contrary, cats do not exhibit a "poor thirst drive" on our foods and will drink more than enough water to maintain proper specific gravity and hydration levels.​

I think we'll try to maintain the status quo for now, and see how Buddy does for awhile. Perhaps he's so enthusiastic about the LID Zero Mature because it's such a change of pace, and we wouldn't want that enthusiasm to wear off in case we need it the next time he loses interest in his usual food. Plus, his poop looks so awesome these days, we're a little afraid of giving him too much more and risk tipping that seesaw too far in the wrong direction. :wink:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okily-dokily. The Young Again website includes a couple of articles that go into more detail re: the basis of their claims than the product info.
If I understand correctly, it appears that their claim is based on their food being so low in carbs (especially the Zero Mature formulas, which contain less than 1%).

Per the first article:

So, do cats have a poor thirst drive or are we just feeding them
the wrong food? We believe that feeding carbohydrates and
plant materials are responsible for cats maintaining a high
urine specific gravity. In 2004, a study was done to determine
the effects of dietary carbohydrates on the formation of struvite
crystals in urine.* The conclusion was that starch/carbs did
potentially stimulate the formation of struvite crystals. The
researchers recommended reducing the levels of starch/carbs
in a cat’s diet. This study also found another interesting fact,
when starch/carbs were added to a protein/fat diet and the
cats were allowed to eat free choice, urine volume went down.
When urine volume goes down specific gravity generally goes
up. It would appear that carbs decrease the cat’s desire to
drink water.​

And a bit further down in the same article:

On the contrary, cats do not exhibit a "poor thirst drive" on our foods and will drink more than enough water to maintain proper specific gravity and hydration levels.​

I think we'll try to maintain the status quo for now, and see how Buddy does for awhile. Perhaps he's so enthusiastic about the LID Zero Mature because it's such a change of pace, and we wouldn't want that enthusiasm to wear off in case we need it the next time he loses interest in his usual food. Plus, his poop looks so awesome these days, we're a little afraid of giving him too much more and risk tipping that seesaw too far in the wrong direction. :wink:
Sounds like a solid game plan.

That research makes a certain amount of sense. There really is so little we truly know about cats nutritional needs. For years they were treated just like little dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years people look back on how we feed now with shock and disgust.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. Does it work, did he drink more water after he ate the Young Again?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the whac-a-mole. :)

If you can get enough moisture in him from other meals, and fountains and such i don't think the dry will hurt. IMO

At least with my guys, who have not, knock on wood, had blockages or kidney problems this is what my vet says. He wants me to get 50% to 75% of their daily calories in wet. Then he says its fine to supplement the rest of their needs with dry. And keep those water fountains and bowls of water full :)

Sometimes its just all you can do to find something they will eat. And eat they must, whether its what we want them to eat or not. So the Young again sounds like it may be a very good back up food for you!

I very much hope it helps him, and that nothing pops up! :crossfingers:
Alas, Buddy just isn't much of a water drinker, no matter how enticing we try to make it. So we try to work in as much extra moisture into his food as we can, and I give him a little extra water or bone broth as chasers after giving him his medications and supplements. On the bright side, Oscar loved getting Buddy's hand-me-down fountain and other cool stuff, so it wasn't a complete waste of money. :)

Thanks for the info about what your vet recommended. It's nice to know we may have more wiggle room than we thought if it becomes necessary at some point to let Buddy have a bit more Young Again dry food. Bless his heart, he's sick so often, it's probably just a matter of time before that info comes in handy. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There really is so little we truly know about cats nutritional needs. For years they were treated just like little dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years people look back on how we feed now with shock and disgust.
True dat. :)

I remember not too terribly long ago when people just fed their cats table scraps, and still think that's all they need. But they forget that in those days, particularly in more rural areas like where I grew up, cats went outside and supplemented those table scraps with the kinds of foods that nature intended. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. Does it work, did he drink more water after he ate the Young Again?
Well, it's extremely rare that we actually see Buddy drink water since we transitioned him over to wet food a few years ago. But the other day I did notice that the water level was lower than usual in a couple of bowls.

And there's no way our other cat could have done that, because we've partitioned the house to keep our FIV+ and FIV- cat separated. Buddy was quite the neighborhood terror when he was a stray, and would bite the crap out of Oscar if given the chance. ;)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my two guys, that do get the targeted 50/75 % of their calories per day in wet food i dont see drink often, maybe twice a day they will lap it up. My little white girl who just will not eat wet drinks many times a day. One reason i have 2 fountains, and 4 water bowls around the house. She sees a bowl or fountain and she drinks :) She cant seem to walk by one and not, so i keep several spread around the house. I fill the bowls 2x daily with fresh filtered water, my little girl loves loves fresh water, when she sees me sitting down a fresh bowl she is right there! And with it getting warmer you may try a few ice cubes in Buddy's water bowl, my guys like that a lot. :D

Sending Buddy my best wishes, that he eats well, and drinks more. That he just keeps getting better!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my two guys, that do get the targeted 50/75 % of their calories per day in wet food i dont see drink often, maybe twice a day they will lap it up. My little white girl who just will not eat wet drinks many times a day. One reason i have 2 fountains, and 4 water bowls around the house. She sees a bowl or fountain and she drinks :) She cant seem to walk by one and not, so i keep several spread around the house. I fill the bowls 2x daily with fresh filtered water, my little girl loves loves fresh water, when she sees me sitting down a fresh bowl she is right there! And with it getting warmer you may try a few ice cubes in Buddy's water bowl, my guys like that a lot. :D

Sending Buddy my best wishes, that he eats well, and drinks more. That he just keeps getting better!
Thanks bunches for the best wishes. We can always use those! :)

Oscar has always been a good water drinker, and will drink water wherever he finds it -- including some places we'd rather he didn't. :wink:

And Buddy is his polar opposite in just about every way, including the water issue. We've tried different sized bowls (while making sure they're all wide enough to prevent whisker stress), different materials, different elevations, different locations, different brands of water, etc. We thought if we had so many bowls strewn about his part of the house, he was bound to take a taste every once in awhile as he was passing by. Nope. Then we tried adding ice cubes, tuna water, broth, and even ping pong balls. Nope, nope, and still nope. :sigh:

The funny thing is that we used to see Buddy drink water all the time when he was a stray, although it was mostly dirty water that collected along the curb and at end of the driveway. I was joking the other day I'm almost tempted to make him a little driveway fountain since that would probably be more up his alley. After all, it's been five years since we rescued him, and he still prefers eating off a plain brown paper bag or a piece of cardboard to the nice ceramic dishes we provide for him. :lol: