Young Again problems?

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Several of my cats have been having issues lately from not wanting to eat, to getting sick, or diarrhea. And all on Young Again Mature Zero.
The owner said back in January, that the food was left to dry longer than usual before adding the flavoring to it.
I hadn't the bottomless bag service so get it every month. February's bag was no different. Picky and not eating as much if at all, and of symptoms.
Owner said they 'fixed' after by adding additional flavoring because the sell by date was the same as last month's. That was the explanation.
Now one that was really not liking it has been throwing up for nearly 24hrs and not eating anything.
In contact with the vet about getting him to ER. But wondering if anyone else has had problems recently?

Pekkle98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Several of my cats have been having issues lately from not wanting to eat, to getting sick, or diarrhea. And all on Young Again Mature Zero.
The owner said back in January, that the food was left to dry longer than usual before adding the flavoring to it.
I hadn't the bottomless bag service so get it every month. February's bag was no different. Picky and not eating as much if at all, and of symptoms.
Owner said they 'fixed' after by adding additional flavoring because the sell by date was the same as last month's. That was the explanation.
Now one that was really not liking it has been throwing up for nearly 24hrs and not eating anything.
In contact with the vet about getting him to ER. But wondering if anyone else has had problems recently?
Hi, I'm experiencing the same problems with Young Again Mature dry food with 2 of my 3 cats since late last year. Prior to that, they all seemed to like it a lot, but then suddenly, one sniffed it & wasn't so excited & now won't even eat very much at all. Another eats it, but regurgitates it several times a week about 15-30 minutes after eating it. Only one seems to still like it enough to eat it, but not as excited as before. I noticed the smell is different myself, so I imagine they notice it too---especially if the flavoring is different/lessened which makes dry food more palatable. Also, diarrhea in one cat who rarely has it just this week.

Did the owner mention if they changed any ingredients/recipe other than drying it longer? I'm definitely concerned. :(

Pekkle98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please lmk what your vet says once you connect as well. Hope your kitty is doing better. I can relate with one of mine also regurgitating/vomiting it up frequently. They eat other foods with no similar reactions (we feed a mix of foods, not just YA).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He claimed more than once that they definitely did not change the formula.
But I noticed the colorwas off as well. He assured me nothing was changed. Just that they didn't add the flavoring at the same time as before/usual. That's it.
I wrote another email a week later asking had any other customers complained about problems. I was flat or refusing to eat, arbiter with diarrhea. He actually called to talk to me about it. He said it sounded like a parasite. To take stool samples to the vet and let him know the results.
Well I just got back from a 2nd vet visit today. That was the one that had completely stopped eating. Then started throwing up a LOT. First bloodwork to show nothing. Got cerenia shot, stopped throwing up for 24hrs, them back at it with only a 1.32oz food. Back at vets. Xrays show he is stopped up with subs constipation & gas behind that.
Got an enema & cerenia shot. Sent home with Elura and a cerenia injection just in case I need for tomorrow.
Getting tired of this.:/ And no, in all the years I've had him, he hasn't ever had this problem before. Could be coincidence.
I'm starting to think of switching them all off. But one's diabetic and I heard Dr. Elsey's had a lab report stating CYANIDE was found in it.😳

Pekkle98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He claimed more than once that they definitely did not change the formula.
But I noticed the colorwas off as well. He assured me nothing was changed. Just that they didn't add the flavoring at the same time as before/usual. That's it.
I wrote another email a week later asking had any other customers complained about problems. I was flat or refusing to eat, arbiter with diarrhea. He actually called to talk to me about it. He said it sounded like a parasite. To take stool samples to the vet and let him know the results.
Well I just got back from a 2nd vet visit today. That was the one that had completely stopped eating. Then started throwing up a LOT. First bloodwork to show nothing. Got cerenia shot, stopped throwing up for 24hrs, them back at it with only a 1.32oz food. Back at vets. Xrays show he is stopped up with subs constipation & gas behind that.
Got an enema & cerenia shot. Sent home with Elura and a cerenia injection just in case I need for tomorrow.
Getting tired of this.:/ And no, in all the years I've had him, he hasn't ever had this problem before. Could be coincidence.
I'm starting to think of switching them all off. But one's diabetic and I heard Dr. Elsey's had a lab report stating CYANIDE was found in it.😳
Hi, could you clarify what this means in your reply above? "I was flat or refusing to eat, arbiter with diarrhea." arbiter with diarrhea?

Appreciate the update & somewhat good news that his bloodwork is OK, though confounding why he's not eating though being blocked up certainly makes them uncomfortable. Is his appetite better now after the enema? I've always wondered how quickly the YA dry food moves thru their system compared to wet. Dry food tends to move slower from my understanding.

Wow, is that Dr. Elsey's dry, wet or both that had a lab report showing cyanide? I had considered them too, but they wouldn't supply full dry matter analysis.

I've had good luck with the Soulistic pates (petco brand made by weruva I believe?) & Weruva chicken frick'azee on the wet food side. They're low in phosphorus & carb which is important to me.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only 1 of 2 would consume YA Mature once I transitioned them away from YA Mature LID in order to attempt to rectify chronic diarrhea.

On an aside they also sell products for birds and reptiles.

Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pekkle98- Sorry about that! The "arbiter with diarrhea" was the auto correct thinking it knows what I really mean.:/
Ok. So, after visit #4, it's either IBD or scl. God don't let it be another scl cat.:( He's now had 3 sets of x-rays, t4 test, 2 mini chems & 2 CBC panels (the blood tests done a week apart), the enema, and a biopsy. Enema didn't do a thing. They said that his intestinal track just had stopped working properly.
I asked her to feel this 'bubble' on his chest area, andshe going one on other side too. Leading her to think Cancer. So I asked her to do a biopsy of one of the swollen lymphnodes, as well as the CBC panel. The panel would show his white blood cell count. That actually turned out perfectly normal. Which would lean it more towards IBD. The biopsy was sent out and haven't gotten the results yet. So we'll see.
MY vet could've taken an ultrasound and bell able to give her educated guess. But fires who's out on maternity leave!😒 Again. Anyhow, within an hour of the Prednisolone he began eating again. Voraciously in fact. It's like he's trying to gain back those pounds he lost. He once weighed 19lbs! Down to just under 14 now, so I want to be careful. But since fear of IBD, cutting out fish and poultry. He's on Essence Ranch & Meadow, since he want fond of the Instinct LI rabbit. I use both in the house for my other IBD kiddos. No throw up so far, been since Monday night. Eating great. I just have to count his kitty heartbeats at least once a day. Because, of course, he has a heart murmur. Those don't go well with steroids.:( So she explained about congestinal heart failure. So she also have me a diuretic to take home just in case.
Oh the joys of cat ownership.
Them owning US that is.😐