You won't believe what we saw last night!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

We had a young lady in Dallas who was suffering from a brain tumor. There was nothing left to do for her, so they ask her for a list of things she wanted to do. One of them was go Trick or Treating.
So the neighbors got together and put on a special Trick or Treat night for her earlier this month. All of the homes were decorated, probably more than usual, and the occupants dressed up. Lots of candy and good spirits. She passed away a week ago.

So there may be a good reason the tree is up now and we just don't know it.
That is really super cool that they did that for her! It had to be a blast for her and everyone else!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My father (who was born in 1921, in an extremely rural area in the Kentucky hills) says that it was the opposite when he was a kid: there was no sign of Christmas on December 24th, but by the time the kids woke up on the morning of the 25th, there was a tree with candles (real ones!
) on it, and presents on the floor underneath. The presents were not wrapped, and usually weren't even addressed -- they were all for everybody. So he grew up believing Santa brought not just the presents, but the tree, too!
I've heard of that before though that was never the case in my household. We used to put it up on Thanksgiving and it was tons of fun to do.

Originally Posted by RoyalEnchntrss

Well I did see they are sending a bunch of the national guard to Iraq so maybe it was someones family who is being sent over and won't be here for Christmas...
I know a few people who have done stuff like that. Some have just done it later for when they are coming home too!

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

The over-commercialization is why I now completely loathe Christmas.
Me, too. Not to mention the fakes that crawl out of the woodwork. You know, the ones who could care less about the homeless or poor any other time of year.
Anyway, my ex's Grandmother (& his family) used to make a huge deal out of Christmas. She would leave a small tree up in the back room all year long, but she was handicapped & it was too much trouble for her to put up & take down every year.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY LAND! I refuse to put up any decorations until after Thanksgiving. I've got a few Thanksgiving things to hang outside, but those won't go up till after Halloween. My front yard is a graveyard!