You tend to forget this about Christmas eve

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

For an ignorant American (me), can you explain Boxing Day? I've always seen it on calendars, but I have no clue what it's actually about.
It's similar to Black Friday for Americans: the day when everything you want goes on sale! It's a holiday in Canada (unless you're in retail, and then it's the busiest day of the year).

I did a quick look-see on Wikipedia (partly because I was curious, partly because I'm bored
) and found out that Boxing Day has a variety of origins, from it being the day the churches' charity boxes were distributed to the poor to the day when the feudal lords would give out boxes filled with goods to their serfs. It's actually quite fascinating (says the geek).

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

It's similar to Black Friday for Americans: the day when everything you want goes on sale! It's a holiday in Canada (unless you're in retail, and then it's the busiest day of the year).

I did a quick look-see on Wikipedia (partly because I was curious, partly because I'm bored
) and found out that Boxing Day has a variety of origins, from it being the day the churches' charity boxes were distributed to the poor to the day when the feudal lords would give out boxes filled with goods to their serfs. It's actually quite fascinating (says the geek).
Thank you for explaining. Now I know. I'm sure I can't be the only one that didn't know

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder, Susie! It's so easy to overlook those who keep our lives running smoothly day to day, and that their jobs don't stop for a holiday. Don't forget hospital staff!!

My mother was a nurse in Critical Care, and the hospital where she worked had a pretty equitable system for their holidays - three year rotation: one year you got Thanksgiving off, the next Christmas, then New Years. I never found it difficult on our family because Mom always knew which holiday she was working and we could adjust our schedules accordingly. Of course, she could always switch shifts with other staff if our plans needed to be changed.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it weren't a Sunday, DH would be working...and probably late.

I think we're going to skip up to NJ for a brunch with my Aunt and Uncle from Texas since my Uncle is the only one I've met of his family (who will all be with him) and I havn't seen him since I was about 12 or 13. We usually travel for the holidays but aren't this year, which I am very happy about, so I want to go to our own church for the Christmas Eve service. I've missed that! I don't have much family in state, other than my parents, so my church has become my family too.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susie. Great idea about remembering those who do so much for us on Holidays as well as other days of the year. We'll probably go to the early Christmas Eve Service at Church and then go out for Pizza. And if I beg hard enough maybe we;ll be able to open one present each early.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This year Christmas Eve will be spent watching My Beloved Washington Redskins Game
and then a nice dinner with hubby...Christmas Eve is just for Dh and I. We open our gifts from each other also.

When I lived in NY Christmas EVE was huge in our family, still is, but without me
In the Italian Tradition it is the feast of the 7 fishes...and it was always my favorite day of the year.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

But lots and lots of people have to work that time. Firefighters, police, hospital workers, etc. I make sure I send in lots of cookies and stuff for the guys who have to work on Christmas eve at the firestation where Jerry works. He always gets out of working due to his senority. He'll work NYE though and let the younger guys go out and party hearty!

What are your plans on Christmas Eve?
I will be working until atleast 6 pm then going to my sisters to have Christmas with my nephews and such!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for a homeless charity and will be working Xmas day again, I think it is at least my eighth in a row...

Don't feel sorry for me, it's poor Epona who will be most upset- stuck at home with only Radar and Jasper for cuddles

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BF asked me if it was ok that he worked Christmas Day
but in construction you have to take the work when it comes, we came to an agreement that he would do it Boxing Day while I shop as there is no way they will get an inspector out on Boxing Day anyway... but either way, Christmas Eve will be spent snuggled up with my BF and the phone chatting to family back home while the girlies are all together so I can get the gossip before talking to everyone else on Xmas day

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be sitting around with my family..(hopefully my mom comes down) and shooting the breeze..we laugh alot when we get together..I can't wait

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big thanks to all of the special people who have to work on holidays so that all of us are safe - and to the caregivers, who give so much of their hearts!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin is a cop- so holiday or not, he will likely have to work as will many of the other ones. I have to work the week of Christmas as well, but I have Christmas day off. I told Colin that whether he had to work or not, we would have a great Christmas with my family (we'll just do it earlier in the day before he has to go into work if we need to
) / And for the week of New Years we're planning on taking 2 or 3 days off to go and see his family and have a late christmas since they're out of state and we won't be able to for christmas. I love your idea of making something special for the people at the station Susie! I am soooo gonna do that

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I love Christmas Eve! Susie you are so sweet, baking for the firemen!

Every Christmas Eve we go and meet with friends at our friends Dads pub. We have a few drinks and then go home! Its a great laugh.
This Christmas will be the first year in my whole life that I will wake up in neither my Mums or my Dads house!
I will be in my very own house! We will be visiting both our famillies on christmas day, just not quite sure where we will be having our meal.
Im off this afternoon to do my shopping!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

That is a very nice idea! I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by all!
Well, in fairness, it was you idea, I'm just borrowing it! I called the police today, to ask if they could only have store bought (sealed stuff) or if I could bring homemade... the garda actually laughed a little bit, he sounded really happy! He also said that homemade was fine, isn't that cool?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I worked christmas eve last year because I have a saturday job and people wanted to go away to see family so I couldn't get time off. Plus it seemed kinda rude when all I'd be doing is mooching around in front of the TV