You may think I'm finally worn out.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

that's amazing and HUGE!! Where do you live?? Wouldn't the cat be happier just running around the trees than enclosed in there even though it's a huge, awesome space?!! Seems mad to have spent so much money and used so many materials to build something so huge when you already have such a natural beautiful built in habitat?! :)
He's a bobcat. 
And the simplest reason is that, In general, "Indoor cats live longer".   For the reasons that statement is true, REALLY applies to this cat.  (a cat that people might fear, people with chickens, outside pets, livestock,  or, view as a hunting trophy).

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is this going to be his permanent home or will he still be coming into your house?
This is his play area for when he gets wound up and too rambunctious.  It's not quick or easy to wear him out.  
He will spend quite a bit of time outside, but, we like him inside, so, he still gets to come in.
He's not "bad" inside.  But, he sure needs to burn up some energy every now and then.

Our tabby was a TERROR when he was a kitten.  But, if we put him outside for a few hours?  He was then a laid back lap cat when we let him in.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

It looks like we live in areas with fairly similar fauna, although I guess your place is a lot warmer than mine. What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

This is his play area for when he gets wound up and too rambunctious.  It's not quick or easy to wear him out.  
He will spend quite a bit of time outside, but, we like him inside, so, he still gets to come in.
He's not "bad" inside.  But, he sure needs to burn up some energy every now and then.

Our tabby was a TERROR when he was a kitten.  But, if we put him outside for a few hours?  He was then a laid back lap cat when we let him in.
 I hear ya! My cats have a cat door so they can come in and out as they please. They're usually pretty calm, but if ever it's too wet or there is too much snow for them to go out I suddenly realise what people with indoor only cats have to live with.

I can imagine a bob cat is like a bored house cat on amphetamine if he's kept indoors all day.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This being right next to the house and patio means it will get some landscaping (as soon as the patio is finished, my immediate next project).   But, as for grass and other greenery?   That will be in patches or flowerbed like areas.

Right now, In and around the enclosure are piles of dirt, and dirt just pushed up against the wire.   Prior to setting the poles, I dug a 12 to 16" ditch (or footing).  This was to make sure the wire went at least 12" deep to prevent digging out.  Once the wire was installed, I just crudely pushed the dirt back.  Wasn't too concerned with looks because it needs some time to "settle".
In a few weeks I'll use a tiller and turn up the whole inside of the enclosure, and around the outside edge.  Then rake out the mounds and piles.
I'll then mulch up a ton of leaves and spread everywhere.  This will cover the dirt and prevent mud, and the tracking of dirt and mud when walking in there.  It will also hinder grass and weed growth.

There will eventually be areas of groundcover.  And areas of vines to grow up the sides.  Flowerbed of shrubs around sections of the outside of it.
But, can't get too carried away with greenery.  This is Arkansas and greenery means bugs, fleas, ticks, snakes, and constant mowing, weedeating, and trimming.  And....YUK!!!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Why would you think id post here without reading the previous posts first?!
I know you have a beautiful, fluffy, tabby bobcat. I've seen the photos. The smugness from a long line, made me laugh...

My point was since they are clearly a wild cat with over a million years of wild cat evolution and heritage, why build such an amazing enclosure? Why not let he or she be wild to roam?

[emoji]128578[/emoji][emoji]128578[/emoji]

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't get me wrong. You're clearly a super cat lover; the enclosure you've built is amazing ...

If you let your bobcat free out of the enclosure would it come back???

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should check back... I know you've raised one kitten bobcat... I guess if you human raise them they're no longer so prepped for the wild... Interested and curious, I think it's amazing what you've built and that's sure one huge lucky kitty xxx

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't get me wrong. You're clearly a super cat lover; the enclosure you've built is amazing ...

If you let your bobcat free out of the enclosure would it come back???
I guess I don't exactly understand the question.

If I let him go, run loose...He would probably come back.  BUT,  It's not that he would, or wouldn't come back.  The problem is where he would go when he was out. 
He's a bobcat and he's not afraid of people.  He would get shot. 

How he got this way?  Bottle fed, nurtured, handled.  He has some wild instincts and tendencies, but, he's not wild. He's a pet and gets treated as such.  So far, I like treating him as a pet, and best I can tell, he seems to like it as well. 

The previous kitten that we rehabbed?  She was 5 months old when she showed up.  She was a wild bobcat and would always be. She had no idea what "tame" was. She would never have been a pet.   She was released back to the world she knew, healthy, at one year old.   

Last edited: