You Know Hold Cold It Is Here? Well...

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dad says it shouldn't burst (he and my uncle, who is a retired plumber, are the ones who remodeled the bathroom) because they used PEX line, and PEX is flexible enough not to burst when frozen. I hope he's right :/. I've been running a space heater in there since this morning but still nothing.
They are correct about PEX not breaking, however it can become more brittle if it goes through a lot of freeze thaw cycles which is one of the reasons why it is not recommended for outside applications like sprinkler systems. What can happen though is the fittings can pop off being forced off by the ice expanding. But is is still way better than copper which splits with the slightest freezing.
You need to get direct heat to the pipes to get them to thaw. Sometimes a small hair dryer works best if you can get it directed at the pipes. Always be careful not to use to much heat or you could set things on fire.

We just had 2 nights of minus 42. That us -42f. Hopefully we took the edge off it so it won't be so bad when it sinks down to you.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. On the East coast and around the Great Lakes the weather is much colder than usual, with a lot of snow, and in the West we're still in the middle of a drought. The Thomas fire, the largest wildfire in California history, is still burning; as of a few hours ago they were reporting that it's 92% contained. (I checked the meaning of "contained" last year during some of the Colorado wildfires. It means the percentage of the circumference of the fire that they think the fire can't cross. I feel like that sentence was unwieldy, but don't know how to fix it.) And Puerto Rico is still without electricity after the hurricanes that hit it earlier this year.

:soapbox: Feel free to skip this rant. President Trump says the East coast could use some of this "global warming" everyone talks about. Well, I have news for him. The East coast is experiencing global warming. Weather patterns are changing because of global warming, and it has resulted in an unusually cold wet winter in the East while the West is dying of thirst and fire.

:crossfingers: In Colorado we build for snow and cold, but we still get our sprinkler system blown out every autumn.

The only time I've had pipes freeze was when we were living in Bend, Oregon. The dining room had a water pipe running through the ceiling to a mother-in-law apartment that had been added over the garage, and it wasn't properly insulated. One bright winter day after a hard freeze I came home from work to get a bit of lunch (the town was small back then -- home was about as close as a fast food joint) and discovered a rainbow in my dining room from the water spraying down from the ceiling. I got a plumber out and he said that from the state of the pipe it had obviously burst several times before, and recommended that we wrap the pipe with heat tape to keep it from happening again, which we did. Then I got a cleaning service to come vacuum the water out of the carpet, and they left us with some huge space heaters to encourage the remainder to dry out. It was awful; I never want to do that again.

Margret
Normally the cold stays north in the Arctic and it makes ice which the polar bears need to live on. The change in wind and circulation patterns caused by heating is causing the cold arctic air to sink down lower than it normally does. Global warming does not cause huge heat spikes everywhere (not yet at least) but rather causes shifts in air current patterns which cause more extreme weather conditions like what was seen this last year. Yea, it was a pretty silly comment for him to make but basically demonstrates the general ignorance he has.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is -21 right now. No wind, so no wind chill. Tomorrow supposedly will get to 14 above. . .heat wave! :banana1:

I'm fine down to 10 degrees. Below that, forget it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's weird. I checked the temp again and now it says -17. A 4 degree increase in 40 minutes! That's a nice warming trend. Must be a south wind bringing a warmer current this way.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in the Great Lakes region, and between the snow, the ridiculous temps, the windchill, and the heat in my apartment not able to keep up, all I want to do is snuggle up with Saipha and Mishka in bed with my 3 layers of blankets and never leave. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This thread was started as a somewhat humorous rant about the weather where I live, and it was not intended to be a platform for politics in any way. I would appreciate no discussion of politics in my thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

The IMHO area of the forum would be a more appropriate place for discussing politics and global warming.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in the Great Lakes region, and between the snow, the ridiculous temps, the windchill, and the heat in my apartment not able to keep up, all I want to do is snuggle up with Saipha and Mishka in bed with my 3 layers of blankets and never leave. :catlove:
You need flannel sheets as well. Way better at keeping heat in.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need flannel sheets as well. Way better at keeping heat in.
I completely forgot that I have flannel sheets stored in the closet! Oh my gosh, thank you for reminding me! I'm going to be so much warmer tomorrow night. And even though flannel is Saipha's favorite material to chew, I'll risk it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and Miss Beast just came in the house; he said it's -1. It's that cold that it's bothering Miss Beast's paws and she doesn't stay out any longer than she has to. It's way too cold for the beginning of January. Right now, it's too cold to snow.
You could try kids no-skid socks for her feet. They're much less expensive than dog booties, and some dogs actually appreciate them.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I literally cannot conceive of the cold you guys are talking about. Really. I have no frame of reference. The coldest I ever remember was when it very briefly hit 8 degrees. My only experience with that was a 20' dash from my mom's house to the car and then an equal dash from the car into our house. In each case we were warm when we exited, so we really didn't feel the cold. We're pretty sure we're dying when it hits 20. We're supposed to have wind chills of 19 degrees most of this week and then on Sunday it's supposed to be 70. That's more like it!

One thing about Texas weather is that if you don't like it, wait five minutes and it'll change.

You folks be super-careful to stay warm and safe and keep all the furkids safe, warm, and dry, too. And as they say around here, protect your tender vegetation!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our actual temperature hasn't gotten below zero here. The "feels like" has gotten very close. I left a big bag of shrimp in the garage overnight last night. It's still frozen solid. DH said some of the drinks I have in the garage are starting to freeze too.

My mother's cats are still refusing to share the heated bed that arrived Sunday. :rolleyes: It's plenty big enough for both but they are stubborn I guess! Mooch has only left hers to be in my lap! I've left my fluffiest bathrobe out for the girls to burrow in on the couch too. :zzzcat:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And even though flannel is Saipha's favorite material to chew, I'll risk it.
Double it up with a regular sheet on top and the flannel next to you. Preferably, use a regular sheet that's a bit larger than the flannel sheet so you can fold the edges of the regular sheet to the back side and baste it closed. That way there are no tempting edges of flannel poking out.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've dealt with cold like that before and NEVER, EVER will again. :cold: :headshake: :eviltongue:

It's rather gloomy here today. It's raining and 56 degrees. It rained all night. The dog was not pleased when it was time to go out. She hates rain.

We have plenty of turkey and black vultures here in Florida. They are always around cleaning up roadkill though. They don't have much fear of people. Nobody bothers them.

When I went to bed last night, Lily was curled up on the bed. I made her a little nest with the blanket. She was a happy girl. When I woke up, Sophie had joined her. :cloud9:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
protect your tender vegetation!
Haha, there's no tender vegetation left by now! Just dormant trees and bushes. . .and evergreens.

At work we were talking about ice fishing. It's been cold enough long enough now for the ice to have gotten thick enough. Some people drive their pickup trucks out onto the ice! There is very little on this planet that would entice me to drive a vehicle out onto open ice, nope nope nope. But if the ice is thicker than 8-12 inches it's considered safe. But nope!

Right now it is 3 degrees. We got above zero, yay!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha, there's no tender vegetation left by now! Just dormant trees and bushes. . .and evergreens.

At work we were talking about ice fishing. It's been cold enough long enough now for the ice to have gotten thick enough. Some people drive their pickup trucks out onto the ice! There is very little on this planet that would entice me to drive a vehicle out onto open ice, nope nope nope. But if the ice is thicker than 8-12 inches it's considered safe. But nope!

Right now it is 3 degrees. We got above zero, yay!

DH used to go ice fishing now and then when we lived in Colorado. He didn't drive onto the ice though. I don't blame you. I wouldn't do that either. :headshake: