You don't know cold until.....

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a squirrel outside my patio door crying. I didnt know what was wrong so i made him a peanut butter sandwich.
He must've been freezing he took off with it and I haven't seen him since.

Right now hubby took my landlady's car down to the auto store to get the battery tested because it just won't start he jumped And drove around the neighborhood it and I won't even hold a charge.
Its 10 great degrees below zero with the windchill.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To compound problems described earlier, my office building had a pipe burst and there has been no water on and off all day. Which means bathroom facilities are not the best.  I heard the lobby is a mess right now.

One person I work with is pregnant and has to go constantly.  I feel awful for her.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

To compound problems described earlier, my office building had a pipe burst and there has been no water on and off all day. Which means bathroom facilities are not the best.  I heard the lobby is a mess right now.

One person I work with is pregnant and has to go constantly.  I feel awful for her.
I would think they would send people home until they get things fixed.  I would think that would be required for health reasons.  I know I am 57 now and I am slowly but surely getting back to the way I was when I was pregnant with the frequent trips to the bathroom.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like there's an uprising on Facebook. My university is resuming classes tomorrow after 2 days of closure, but it's a commuter school and people who are living 1, 2 hours away are not happy about having to drive on sheets of ice. On the upside, I'll probably be able to find parking next to my class building!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It was warmer in Moscow and Anchorage than here. We had -15--20F wind chills, and more tomorrow. (Moscow=36F ; Anchorage=30F.)

Glad I kept that "white trash" down coat I bought years ago. (DH called it that when I bought it! I think it's nice--a vanilla color, with brown faux fur around the hood. And it's WARM.) I normally don't wear hats, but I wore my black, faux fur "Russian" hat, and it scared several of my cats!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I normally don't wear hats, but I wore my black, faux fur "Russian" hat, and it scared several of my cats!
I love those! I ordered one myself - although knowing my luck it'll probably arrive when it's warm - I just realized how woefully unequipped I am to deal with real cold. I'm normally very resistant to cold (I find it a chore to wear more than a layer of shirt + coat, and forget about scarf and hats), but this one's pretty brutal.

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to use an axe handle and a baseball bat to break up the ice in our gravel driveway today. I finally got sick of the dogs pulling me across it in their rush to get back inside and lay by the woodstove. I have never seen dogs do their business so quickly!

Our new place is a cabin on the mountainside and the wind has been whipping by so hard at night, I can feel it blowing through the window above my bed. Tomorrow, I have to go get some of that plastic you can put on the windows with a blow dryer.....but how long will that last around the cats :lol3:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a balmy 13 F with a windchill of 2, certainly a lot better than it was all day yesterday.  It's supposed to be above freezing tomorrow and 50 by Saturday.  I briefly saw a headline yesterday that natural gas futures were down because the rest of winter is supposed to be mild.  I really hope that is true.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
4 F this morning and we don't have that terrible wind. I think we're to be around 15 or so today. And yeah, 50 degrees here Sat and Sun! 

It'll be a heatwave, compared to what we've been having!

Last edited: