You could have waited or used the 3 other boxes

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I go into the bathroom to clean the litter boxes(we have 4) and Nuts trots in and sits in the box and proceeds to pee. Now he was in the living room and there are 3 litter boxes in the kitchen(large kitchen, they aren't near any food) and the kitchen was much closer. He did it purposely because he gave me his best 'bite me' look. I was already sitting and about ready to sift the box and he had to get practically in my face to do this. He also didn't actually need to go, normally he pees a flood(typical little boy he holds it as long as possible), this was not much for Nuts to actually pee, he totally did it intentionally.

I use a sifting pan(the sifter part is in between the 2 boxes the one that has litter and the one that doesn't, otherwise gunk sticks to the sifter and well that's impossible to clean) in the bathroom and then carry the sifter and the box I'm not using at the time and sift them all, it's easier when there is stuff caked on the bottom of the box(and there always is.)

Now I have to wait 10 mins before I can do anything so the clump can solidify so the sifter doesn't get all gross from a soggy not yet formed clump.

It drives me nuts when they do this especially when he was closer to the other 3 boxes. I do however almost have to laugh at the look he gave me. If he could have said 'bite me' or something not quite so nice(f- you, which I think is what he was really saying) he would have. The utter look of disgust on his face towards me. I wanted to give him a clean place to go potty and instead he decides to use it before I could clean it. I know they all do this, the outside ones wait until I am about to put the pan of food up before they decide they want more when it's been out ALL DAY(I just put a handful of food on the ground if they want to eat more, Mr. Raccoon is not welcome on the front porch.)

Annoying cat, LOL.

Taryn

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me I'd rather have the cats use the boxes before I scoop/clean them. My Ni, Ashley and Joji are notorious going to the toilet right after I scoop. It sometimes feel like the job is never done.

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a territorial thing. They just want you to know that the litter box is for them and not to be used by you.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I clean and scoop the five boxes twice a day. Once a week, we dump all the boxes, wash them out very well and put fresh litter in them. One box has scoopable litter; the other four contain regular litter.

Banshee used to wait until all the litterboxes were washed out and fresh litter was dumped in them on Wednesday nights. Then she'd go from one box to another, anointing each one with just a tiny bit of pee. She needed to be the first one to use all the boxes.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Litter box stories! The other day, I was cleaning out the two pans in the downstairs bathroom when Tex came trotting in. Climbs into pan #1, sniffs around - nope, pan #2 - digs around - nope. Hops out and goes to sit in the doorway. And waits. The minute I finished cleaning them out - he climbs in the nearest one and poops. He is actually a fastidious little guy... he BURIES his waste and anyone else's that's there!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Shareena always has to test the just-scooped litter boxes. She'll actually follow me around and baptize each one as soon as it's cleaned out. One time I had a box of new litter open ready to top up the litter and when I turned around to get it she was sitting in the new litter just as proud as could be.

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lately Sophie seems to prefer a dirty litter box to seeing anyone "interfering" with her precious boxes. Every time I go to scoop the boxes (they have 2 right now, one in each upstairs bedroom), she comes running as soon as she hears the scoop hit the surface of the litter. She'll contort herself in any possible way to get around me, so she can climb into the box and just stand there staring at me as if to say "Huh-uh. No touching, MINE." If she could wear dark sunglasses and cross her arms over her chest like a bouncer at the door of a nightclub, that's exactly what she'd be doing.

I only manage to actually finish scooping, by hurrying to the second box while she's barricading the first one. And of course, I have to go back and forth several times sometimes, because she WILL follow me each time! It's like a three-ring circus. I get a lot of exercise though!