Yorkshire Pudding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No apology then? I am therefore forwarding this message from Her Majesty's government.

"This morning the British Ambassador in The United States of America handed the American Government a
final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were
prepared at once to withdraw their claim that they had anything to do with inventing the Yorkshire Pudding, a state of war would
exist between us.

I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that
consequently this country is at war with America".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:D I've never eaten anything of that nature (besides pancakes) so I'm in no position to offer an apology. We need to get those diner owners over the embassy ASAP! It's for the good of the country!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard a lot about them, seen recipes for making them but have never tried them. One of these days hopefully I will try one. I don't know how they got the Dutch baby as the same thing, they are completely different. What can I say, American foodies can be know it all snobs.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard a lot about them, seen recipes for making them but have never tried them. One of these days hopefully I will try one. I don't know how they got the Dutch baby as the same thing, they are completely different. What can I say, American foodies can be know it all snobs.
They are yummy. Blame the NYT. :eviltongue: on them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Yorkshire Pudding, and I apologize to the Brits for any American claim it's American. I KNOW it's English; my ancestors came from the British Isles, and so I used to make it for Christmas dinner, along with a beef roast of course. (I get ticked off when other Americans ask me what my mother country is, so this was my contribution to the ethnicity movement.) Hard to believe, but British people were actually in North America before the Revolution.

I first heard of Yorkshire Pudding in James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small and had to find a recipe and try it. It's easy - it's popover batter dropped into beef drippings.

And for other Americans, the British call ALL desserts "pudding," although this one is not a dessert. But that's why you hear on those PBS shows people asking so often, "You're not going to eat your pudding?"

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I dearly love Yorkshire pudding....and I don't care who invented it. It's good stuff!

I never had it in my family; Mom would have never made anything like that. Rick's mom gave me her recipe because Rick liked it so much. So do I. How on earth can one serve any kind of roast beef (preferably a really good standing rib roast) without Yorkshire pudding?

Sometimes we'll make individual puddings, but most of the time, I'll make a 9 x 13-inch pan of pudding. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Well, when our son still lived at home, it was gone in no time! Leftovers, if there are any, can be chilled, but I wouldn't freeze it.

Oh man, now I want Yorkshire pudding!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just googled the 2 British restaurants I know of in the area. Neither have Yorkshire Pudding on their menus. But they are both "fish and chips" type places. I've been in the mood for a good fish fry so I think we might have to try one of these places anyway. The mushy peas look good.

But I guess I'm going to have to google some more to see if I can find it locally. (I searched "British restaurants near me" and Google brought up a Japanese Steakhouse. :headscratch: :lol: ) I'm not ready to commit to making it myself. One of my step-Aunts is British; or her parents were anyway. She just got back from a trip visiting family in the UK. She might be my next person to talk to; but she lives in another state so I can't ask her to make me any.;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just googled the 2 British restaurants I know of in the area. Neither have Yorkshire Pudding on their menus. But they are both "fish and chips" type places. I've been in the mood for a good fish fry so I think we might have to try one of these places anyway. The mushy peas look good.

But I guess I'm going to have to google some more to see if I can find it locally. (I searched "British restaurants near me" and Google brought up a Japanese Steakhouse. :headscratch: :lol: ) I'm not ready to commit to making it myself. One of my step-Aunts is British; or her parents were anyway. She just got back from a trip visiting family in the UK. She might be my next person to talk to; but she lives in another state so I can't ask her to make me any.;)
The recipe seems fairly simple. They are so good. The batter seems similar to what is used in Toad in a Hole (also YUMMY!)

My Mums Easy And Traditional English Yorkshire Pudding Recipe - Genius Kitchen