Yikes! Need Idea Help For A Wedding Gift

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: Okay, my TCS family - I need idea help! The wedding is day after tomorrow, I live in a rural area and except for KMart, the nearest big box store is 150 miles away. We have 3 lumberyards and a RiteAid drug store plus a small mom&pop pharmacy and 2 feed stores. The happy couple have already been living together. ....I do TERRIBLE at this sorta thing - TNR is easier than this! Things are complicated financially and I have to take my daughter on a 400 mi (round trip) to a medical center, so I need to budget for that. Any ideas will be considered! Thank you:agree:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: Okay, my TCS family - I need idea help! The wedding is day after tomorrow, I live in a rural area and except for KMart, the nearest big box store is 150 miles away. We have 3 lumberyards and a RiteAid drug store plus a small mom&pop pharmacy and 2 feed stores. The happy couple have already been living together. ....I do TERRIBLE at this sorta thing - TNR is easier than this! Things are complicated financially and I have to take my daughter on a 400 mi (round trip) to a medical center, so I need to budget for that. Any ideas will be considered! Thank you:agree:
Card with a personal note and a gift card in an amount you can afford. I live rural too and it's hard to shop and even if there is a registry I choose long ago to hand over some cash so to speak and let it go.

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How about "A Quiet Night at Home" basket?

I'm sure you can find a nice basket at K-Mart. Line it with white or wedding themed tissue paper, then add some items (as many or few as you like or can afford) for a quiet evening at home:
A couple candles
A popular movie or two
Some popcorn
Popcorn bowl
Gift Certificate for local pizzeria
A bottle of wine
A homemade 'Do Not Disturb' sign
An inexpensive throw blanket

OR

A candle
Jar of spaghetti sauce
Box of pasta
Bottle of wine
Container of Parmesan cheese
Checkered table cloth
$5 certificate to a local bakery or grocery for garlic bread

Get creative! You don't have to spend a lot - it's the thought that counts.
And if they know you well enough to invite you to their wedding, they most likely know your circumstances.
It's the thought that counts - and you can always present them with an additional gift on their one month anniversary if you'd like. Or, a beautiful card with a gift certificate or check inside.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always give a nice wedding card with a check enclosed , i.e. no fuss, easy to carry in my purse and the married couple can purchase what they please or really need.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
yes it is the thought that counts. I used to think that gift cards were thoughtless but that stigma is long gone.
People getting married have usually lived together or had their own homes
Kids usually have too many toys anyway and parents know what best fits their children in clothes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only buy gifts for my young grandkids everyone else gets a gift certificate. So much easier. They can use it either for something they want or use it towards something that they really want. No 'ugly sweaters' that way.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about gift certificates/cards....they are worth it. And you can usually get one at your local grocery store or supermarket.

When our nephew got married for the second time, we gave them a gift card to Williams Sonoma (they were registered at WS, so we figured that was a safe bet). When they sent us a Thank You note, they also included a picture of the wine glasses they bought with the gift card.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Because gifts can and have been stolen at weddings, many people wait a couple of weeks to send a gift straight to the couple's home. That can buy you a few extra days.

Gift cards are an awesome idea. But if you do want to do something other than a gift card, Hoosier Mama has a great idea. Something that can be an at-home date is good, a goodie basket full of crackers and shelf stable meats and cheeses is good (make your own rather than purchasing stupid expensive pre-made baskets), or if you're quick with crafts, something decorative for a wall or a table is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because gifts can and have been stolen at weddings, many people wait a couple of weeks to send a gift straight to the couple's home. That can buy you a few extra days.

Gift cards are an awesome idea. But if you do want to do something other than a gift card, Hoosier Mama has a great idea. Something that can be an at-home date is good, a goodie basket full of crackers and shelf stable meats and cheeses is good (make your own rather than purchasing stupid expensive pre-made baskets), or if you're quick with crafts, something decorative for a wall or a table is good.
That is an excellent point! I don't do the "social thing" very often and if I can take the gift later, I can shop in the city after the medical trip and get a lot more "bang for my buck". My disabled daughter has her heart set on helping me do something personal, so I am trending towards a goodie basket. Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
:D If they were moving into their first apartment, my totally practical and completely unromantic gift would be a mop, a broom, a fly swatter, and five gallons of roach spray! :tongue: