Yet another "Best Food" thread

janet k

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted my cat Sam in August. He is a little chunker and 4 yrs old. My vet didn't recommend any type of food, but gave me a calorie count based on his weight and his goal weight. I went with Weruva because it is grain free and low in calories so that he can still have the volume of food without the extra calories. It is slow going (I just switched him to wet from and all dry diet) but he is coming around and really starting to like it! I am trying to introduce variety and looking into NV Instincts rabbit and venison (I will have to look up calories).

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you on the budget, but I feel like I'd rather spend it on preventative than emergency services.  And I know that's not for everyone but I'm wiling to give up a Friday night dinner and drinks for my baby !  It's so weird that I have friends and family with male cats that are on a dry food diet and have never had the first problem ??!!!  Maybe we're just special care givers with special furry babies !
Time will take its toll my coworker just said that that about her cat and dog now they are past middle age one has cancer and the other is in er all blocked up.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
M
I agree that ZiwiPeak is an excellent canned food. Their venison is hands-down, both my cats favorite food across all brands I've tried. They both snarf it down with gusto.

Other brands to consider are Dave's 95% line, and Hound & Gatos. Both are a bit more budget-friendly than the ZiwiPeak, while still being great canned foods.

My two really like the Dave's 95% beef & beef liver, but weren't crazy for the chicken.

I've fed the chicken, and the salmon, from Hound & Gatos. My cats will eat both those flavors, but without enthusiasm and lots of dirty looks at me. :lol3:   Eventually I'll try other flavors as I think it's a great food, but for now the H&G is not part of the menu here.

All three brands mentioned are difficult for me to source locally, as the big chain stores don't carry them. Sometimes the smaller non-chain stores will have them, but I always call first to make sure they have the exact flavor I'm looking for in stock that day. The Dave's 95% beef and the ZiwiPeak venison, I purchase by the case at Chewy.com, now that I know my two will happily eat it.

I'm still looking for the "perfect" chicken &/or turkey, and perhaps a lamb or rabbit.  There are lots of good ones out there, but if the cats won't eat it.... LOL
. Mine love Rockstar Rabbit by Pride by Instinct, it is pork and rabbit.

Last edited:

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety, including the Pride line, does get their rabbit from China though. They even say it on their website. That would worry me.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of spring earlier this year, Nature's Variety no longer sources their rabbit from China; they source from France. Not sure where on the NV site you are seing China.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been about a year or so since I visited the site. I do remember reading one of the Frequently Asked Questions concerning ingredients being sourced from China, in which they talked about the rabbit. I also had e-mailed them around the same time asking about ingredients from China, and they had told me about the rabbit being sourced from China but carefully inspected, or something along those lines. If this is no longer true, I guess they have probably changed the info on the site.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NV switched over in early spring due to customer concerns regarding the rabbit sourcing from China even though they had strict quality control and oversight of the rabbit production in China.  I fed my cats NV's rabbit prior to the switch to France (I still do), and never had a problem.  NV's venison and lamb are from New Zealand, rabbit from China, poultry and beef from the US.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops - another coffee is needed: NV rabbit from France since spring, not China any more, sorry for mispost above.

lokipuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I agree that ZiwiPeak is an excellent canned food. Their venison is hands-down, both my cats favorite food across all brands I've tried. They both snarf it down with gusto.

Other brands to consider are Dave's 95% line, and Hound & Gatos. Both are a bit more budget-friendly than the ZiwiPeak, while still being great canned foods.

My two really like the Dave's 95% beef & beef liver, but weren't crazy for the chicken.

I've fed the chicken, and the salmon, from Hound & Gatos. My cats will eat both those flavors, but without enthusiasm and lots of dirty looks at me.
  Eventually I'll try other flavors as I think it's a great food, but for now the H&G is not part of the menu here.

All three brands mentioned are difficult for me to source locally, as the big chain stores don't carry them. Sometimes the smaller non-chain stores will have them, but I always call first to make sure they have the exact flavor I'm looking for in stock that day. The Dave's 95% beef and the ZiwiPeak venison, I purchase by the case at Chewy.com, now that I know my two will happily eat it.

I'm still looking for the "perfect" chicken &/or turkey, and perhaps a lamb or rabbit.  There are lots of good ones out there, but if the cats won't eat it.... LOL
Tried the H&G, Pork, Chicken and Chicken, Duck, Salmon and they wouldn't touch it.  I think it's the consistency, it's too whipped or something.  Looks like the ingredients are top shelf but for some reason they don't like it.    ZiwiPeak Rabbit & Lamb and Venison & Fish are staples in my house.  I've just ordered from Chewy as well and set up autoship.  Going to try the venison when it is available in stock and am going to try Dave's 95%. Never heard of that line.  Thanks for the tips.  And yes, snarfing is the best way to describe how they eat this food!