yes, no, yes, no UGH!! HELP!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Princess Purr - our kitties all held it in for about 24 hours before using the litter! It's unusual and strange to them, and the recommendation to use dirt really helps. We used the same dirt they were used to (as opposed to potting soil), and as soon as they went to the bathroom, we scooped that out and then refilled the litterbox with litter and added what we scooped out to the litter.... they quickly got the idea, and we've never had any problems at all. My understanding is that ferals are very fastidious about using the litter box - probably as a result of their upbrining, it's very important to them to "hide" their "business."

But yes - definitely use unscented at first (we continue to use unscented because we and the cats prefer it!
)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just caution if you use *regular* dirt, you need to dump the entire box every day- otherwise you could have a bug infestation. That is why I use Organic potting soil right at first.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh
- I guess I didn't make it clear. We just used the "regular" dirt until the kitties used it, which took about 24 hours, give or take 6 hours. Then we scooped out (what was pee). We dumped the dirt, cleaned the box, added unscented litter, and put just the pee/dirt we'd scooped out into the litter, so they'd know what it was for by smell...

We never had a problem with any of the kitties using the litterbox after that, nor did we ever find we needed to use more dirt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dh needs to go get some stuff for the yard today so i'll have him pick up organic potting soil. and i'll pick up some clay litter. You guys are so helpful!! I can't thank you enough. i'm such a nervous grandmeow!!! Hopefully my vet will cut me a deal on the cost of all this little monster.

Misty and Nanook (dogs) are due for appointments soon
Moe and Neo are past due ( i was nervous about the shots causing cancer)
and then....
Snowwhite, ashton, lilly, and sherbert all need the works! And we will just have to wait and see how many little ones they are...
I wonder if i can say i'm running a cat rescue and use this as a tax deduction
i was thinking of employing ashton and lilly to be models and paying them in cat food and vet care... i wonder what the irs would think about that

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! Now THAT'S creative thinking! I'm not too sure about the IRS.... but unfortunately to the cat rescue (I know you were kidding...), you have to qualify from the Department of Health - and there's LOTS of hoops to jump through!

DO ask your Vet about low cost resources - NJ has a Statewide low-cost spay/neuter program, and the Vet should have certificates available. !!!!!

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to ask my mom. She is a CPA (accountant) if they are working for me..and i'm paying them..i should be able to take it :LOL: they are amazing look cats. Lilly has the most beautiful eyes, and ashton likes to smile
I wonder what they do with movie star dogs and stuff... maybe i found a nice little loop whole!

before i go to the store...is there anything else i need? She i be giving her vitamins or anything?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - you probably went to the store already! My understanding is that you should be feeding her kitten food until she's done weaning the kittens. It has (at least) extra protein in it, which mom (and the kittens, when they start eating solid food) need for growth.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
check! :LOL: picked up four bags of kitten food when i was there