Yeesh, found small piece of plastic Amazon envelope in cat's poop!

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are very careful leaving out any plastic bags as every cat we've had seems to want to munch them.

Either Thursday morning or Friday morning I shooed Walnut away from an Amazon envelope (the white plastic bag ones) and then threw it out. I swear it was a split second! Everything normal since then.

This morning (Sunday) I was cleaning his litter and found a small piece of the envelope in his poop - in tact! Eating normally, good sized poop. I had no idea he even ate it!

He's now happily snoozing in his bed. So dependent on when it happened, it's either been a full 3.5 days or a full 2.5 days. He's been eating and pooping normally the whole time - except today I did find the plastic in one of the pieces.

Anything else to look for? I'll call vet tomorrow.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that would eat photographic paper.

Even though I tried to keep all photographs and photographic supplies out of the cat's reach, I still occasionally found bits of chewed up photo paper in the litter box. You can tell because it has the name "Kodak" printed on the back.

Apparently, the emulsion layer is made of fish gelatin which is attractive to cats. Many photographers who own cats have had this problem.

As long as it's only small pieces, there isn't much to be done about it except do your best to keep such items away from the cat as much as you can. The paper or, in your case, Tyvek will pass and you'll find it in the box when your cat makes his deposits.

If the cat's not showing any signs of trouble, is still eating, drinking and using the box, there isn't much to worry about.

You can call the vet if you think it's necessary. If you see any signs of trouble or have any doubts, do call.

As my vet told me, "Yup! Cats will do that!" ;)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If this is the same Amazon bag I am thinking of, it is coated with the gelatin which is appealing to cats. He probably either crunched it, or sucked down the bigger piece you found and it probably will all come out eventually. Do you think that he is a secret chewer and does things you don't know about? He probably does not have pica but an obsessive amount of chewing could indicate that.

He certainly does not sound as if he is in immediate danger, so you don't need the ER unless this all goes south tonight. I always check with my vet on situations like this and it is probably a good idea to let them make the decision as to whether or not he needs an appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is the same Amazon bag I am thinking of, it is coated with the gelatin which is appealing to cats. He probably either crunched it, or sucked down the bigger piece you found and it probably will all come out eventually. Do you think that he is a secret chewer and does things you don't know about? He probably does not have pica but an obsessive amount of chewing could indicate that.

He certainly does not sound as if he is in immediate danger, so you don't need the ER unless this all goes south tonight. I always check with my vet on situations like this and it is probably a good idea to let them make the decision as to whether or not he needs an appointment.
No, he's not a chewer, just plastic bags at times! So weird. We are normally super careful, this just snuck past us.

Thanks all!