Yearly Vaccinations

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

The thing with vaccines, is that they don't KNOW for sure how long they keep the cat immune. Sometimes it is for the entire life of the cat, and sometimes it's not. I completley agree that annual vaccines are completley unnecessary, but if you ever wonder if your cat is still immune, they can run a titer test to see if the vaccine is still working. Most vets are moving to the 3 year vaccine cycle as they've learned that yearly is not only unnecessary, but overvaccination can lead to some serious problems!
That is what I have read and most vets here are doing.,..

My vet personally said kitten and the one yr booster should be enough

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KaraBear

The last time I took my Kitty to the vet for a check up and shots, she told us they are starting to discourage vaccinations in indoor cats because sometimes it causes problems. And then we were asked if we still wanted to vaccinate her. We said yes partly because I was thrown by what she told us and didn't know what to say. I have always thought vaccinations were good. I also have a hyperactive imagination. There is a random cat that comes up on our deck where our big living room windows are and where the cats always hang out. This does not happen very often but I still worry about germies coming in through the screen.

But I am wondering if I should continue the practice of vaccinations (besides rabbies of course) What do ya'll think?
personally after the kitten series and a one year booster (if that), i wont vaccine ever again except for rabies and only because its required by law. over-vaccination causes big health problems.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

Even though it is not required everywhere all it takes is your cat to bite the wrong person and they can request rabies testing. Rabies testing = decapitation. Rabies is 1 vaccine I would definately get for my animal just so that freaky occassion does not happen to me.
they cannot make your cat be decapitated. they can only make it be quarranteened for ten days. and maybe hold you responsible for medical bills if they have to go through a series of rabies shots. if it is not required, i would not give the rabies vaccine, but thats left up to personal choice.