Yearly vaccinations or no?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

And just to add to the pile of troubles about vaccines, please be aware that cats in Southern states where mosquitoes are prevalent are also susceptible to heartworms.  They don't seem to get them the way dogs do, but it is an issue.  One of the neighbors just had to have her cat euthanized due to advanced heartworms.  The cat was over 15 years old, and the vet was almost sure that the treatment would not only kill him, but make the remainder of his life a misery.  I had never heard of heartworms in cats before.  My vet verified it, and Hekitty is now on heartworm meds.  She is indoor only, but that makes no difference to a mosquito.
That is so true. There's actually a sign at my vet's office that says, "There's no such thing as an outdoor-only mosquito."

catlore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two and a  half weeks ago I brought my Miss Kitty in for her vaccinations. She had to get current on vaccinations in order for us to move into a new apartment. She has had a delayed reaction to the vaccines. For the past five days she has had little/no appetite, and does nothing but sleep. She now will eat and/or drink only if I put it on the bed right under her nose. She just doesn't have the energy needed to get on and off my bed to go to her food and water dishes. I feel so bad for her. I don't have the means to take her to the vet again, so I am glad she isn't getting any worse. I think she is ate a little more today. She weighed 17 lbs the day of the vaccinations, so she can afford to lose a little weight. I will have to get her vaccinated again in the future (rules of where I am moving to), but I won't have all the shots given on the same day again. I wish I had researched side effects of vaccines before taking her to the new vet. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Two and a  half weeks ago I brought my Miss Kitty in for her vaccinations. She had to get current on vaccinations in order for us to move into a new apartment. She has had a delayed reaction to the vaccines. For the past five days she has had little/no appetite, and does nothing but sleep. She now will eat and/or drink only if I put it on the bed right under her nose. She just doesn't have the energy needed to get on and off my bed to go to her food and water dishes. I feel so bad for her. I don't have the means to take her to the vet again, so I am glad she isn't getting any worse. I think she is ate a little more today. She weighed 17 lbs the day of the vaccinations, so she can afford to lose a little weight. I will have to get her vaccinated again in the future (rules of where I am moving to), but I won't have all the shots given on the same day again. I wish I had researched side effects of vaccines before taking her to the new vet. 
Are you sure that's from the vaccinations? That's one heck of a delay. There are SO many things that can cause a cat to get like that that are completely unrelated to vaccinations. I am glad she is better now though!

After what I read in one of the "has your cat bitten you" threads, I think I may consider the rabies vaccine regularly. Why? Because god forbid my own cat bites me to the point I have to go to the doctor or hospital for it. I don't want to chance them taking her away! I'm so glad I was ok (no infection) after Lucky bit me last year. I would have been DEVASTATED if they had to take him away, and especially with him being so sick. So yeah, rather not chance it.

catlore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. She has lost a little over a pound in the past week due to not eating like she used to. But at least she actually left my bedroom today and was laying in another room. For a while when she meowed, nothing came out, just that open mouth, breath exaltation with no sound, but today I heard her meow at me when I petted her.  Feeling hopeful now.  I will never give her more than one shot at a time. Hopefully this won't happen again.