Yearly Question about Christmas trees......

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
flash and sooty wernt bothered by our real tree last year im not sure what they will be like next year when we are back together again, im going to make blaine put a tree up in his room so that they should remember it from last year and know not to bother it

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cats are good with the tree...they like to sit under it. They claw the tree skirt but no damage to the tree. THe only problem i Have is with Tilly she likes to bat the ornaments off the tree. Thankfully i took my sister's advice and got a box of the unbreakable ornaments from Wal-Mart! I found one under my bed last year. Tilly and moo had fun and that is all that matters!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes all, I've cat proofed my tree - all unbreakable ornaments completely secured to the tree - it takes for ever to put up and take down. No tinsel either. I'm just wondering if that fence will deter them from getting under the tree and climbing up the center. The one I'm looking may work, now I just have to find out if I can return it if it doesn't work.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a real tree for the first time last year, and it was so cool! The girls played around the base, chasing each other, pouncing out from behind the tree etc., but didn't try to climb it - it was pretty dense, so it would have been pretty hard to get up it. There was no decorations at the bottom 2' of the tree, which took away a lot of the temptation.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might think this weird, but my solution was to have 3 small trees. One on the shelf one one the TV and one on a tall small table. Just some place witha jumping-up-on-it barier. I did like my idea. They were 3 foot/ one meter sized trees and I got to decorate them all in a different theme. One was on a small table but I used present boxes to keep the cats from getting to it. They had no landing spot. The one on the shelf I pulled out some of the behind branches and with a peice of wire and a nail it stood well. That was my pretyest one. Was the best christmas room I made. 90% cat safe.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas in our family is much more than just a holiday, its a separate season of the year. The decorations go up before Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving weekend and stay up til mid January. So last year I got the tree out, I swear the weekend after Halloween, and things went down hill so much that by Thanksgiving it was back in the box. However, this year I have found something that the boys are absolutely petrified of and I think it will deter them. I'm hoping it does as with the new house I long to decorate with more than just a tree. The boys are petrified of our wind chime--I had to bring it in when we moved and even the slightest touch of it makes them run and hide under the bed. So I'm thinking if I hang it inside the tree, that when they go to climb the inside branches it will make noise and they'll run like bats outta heck.

Leslie

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be horribly crule to put some of those psst cat thingys around the bottom of the tree so if the kitties get to close to the base they would run away? I'd really like to be able to put up a real tree again, but I'm so afraid of all the needles and ruptured intestines!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up on the tree after Cleo chewed the branches, and Maggie chewed the light cords (a la "Christmas Vacation.") Lola came a couple of years later, so she's never been introduced to a Christmas tree. I bought one a couple of years ago, at the end of season sale....but it just languishes inside the box, in the basement. I can't bring myself to put it up, only to be ruined by my destruct-o-cats. I wish I had a solution for your problem (and mine), but sometimes you just have to realize that it probably just isn't meant to be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oo, wind chimes - that could work!