Yay!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gilly

So sorry to have missed this earlier on, but massive congratulations to your daughter for passing!
It always amazes me what students have to do to get into Uni with conditional / unconditional offers etc. It puts so much pressure on them... but I am glad that she got what she wanted, she did very well and I bet you are all chuffed!

I remember getting my A'Level results.... 10 years ago!
Thank you so much Gilly - when I see what she has sacrificed and how dedicated she has been over the last few years, it does make us incredibly proud of her. It also makes my own students' lives easier because I understand so much what they had to do to get into University.

You did your A'levels 10 years ago
you old duck!!!!! Now I'm not even going to tell you how long ago that would have been for me

My friend did Law there - De Monfort isn't it? I remember going to visit her during February time one year, we got snowed in her student house!
There are two Universities in Leicester. De Montfort (the old Leicester Polytechnic), both hubby and I have studied there (law for me too). Then there's Leicester Uni - the old traditional Uni. That's the one that daughter will be going to.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Becky, Kelly, OllyExtra05 and Fran - thank you all so much

Daughter has seen all of these wonderful messages and wants me to send her thanks too. Her smile this morning is as wide as it was yesterday

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just had a professor from Leicester staying with me - he is in Archaeology but was part of developing the DNA programme, used by anthropologists and archaeologists for identification techniques. He was here to attend a big press do announcing new geophysical satellite developments (also started at Leicester) which are helping to find mass graves. Then the archaeologists move in, map the graves and the remains are DNA tested against relatives' blood samples. I used to work with the International Commission on Missing Persons here, and DNA is the cornerstone of all their work. Leicester is a great university. ICMP offer internships, so maybe next summer....

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, that's incredible. Amazing work is being done with DNA techniques - although that must have been such a difficult job to do, it's such a valuable one. So many relatives would want to know what happened to their loved one even if the news wasn't good.

Leicester is such a lovely University, daughter has wanted to go to Leicester since she was 3 years old and visited a public open day. One of the students helped her to peer down a microscope and she has been hooked ever since.