Yard intruder

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a little while ago, Sheba came running in from the back porch and Silly jumped into the window behind the bed. Usually, Sheba doesn't react to small animals in the yard, so I thought I had a two-legged intruder.  I grabbed the house cannon and looked out the back door. Nothing.  I went to the bathroom window, which looks out into the front yard...  There was a black bear about 5 feet away, meandering past the house!!!  I put the 20 down, grabbed the camera and tried to take a picture.  The flash reflecting off the screen made the picture unseeable and scared the bear.  It galloped down the driveway and disappeared.

This is a good reason to keep your cats inside.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW.  No bears where I am but growing up there were sightings 10 miles from our house!  how often do you see bears there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the first one I have seen in the yard, but I have heard them in the woods.. One of our property lines is Ouchita National Forest.  I see them other places about once a month. A few years ago, I saw a lynx in the yard and deer are as common as possums and raccoons.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably the only thing that would make her run.  I don't let them out on the porch at night, so she hasn't come face to face with the raccoons or possums yet.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have bears here where I live too.  While I agree it is safer for cats to be inside, I think it is highly unlikely a bear could catch a cat.  I would be more concerned about fights with possums and coons.

Also, real concerns are bobcats, cougars, coyotes, and foxes.We have all of that where I live.  Our cats live in the yard during the day in a fenced in area.  At dark, they are moved to the screen porch or the garage where we have a large cat cage.  Stay out of your yard at night.  LOL.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes!!  That is something I'd rather see on vacation!  Not in my own back yard!!  Last night my neighbor's dogs were going nuts over something.  They were at the side of the yard that meets mine and is near our bathrooms.  By the growly bark it was close!  I'd have peeked outside but I had the light on so my vision would have been useless!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Stay out of your yard at night.  LOL.
I don't go outside at night without my 1 million candlepower spotlight and my pistol.  It's only a ..22 but it makes a loud enough noise to scare most animals. Even the two-legged ones.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's scary! There was a bear wandering in this area about a year ago. I never saw him. We have coyotes around here, so cats are not safe outside.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's scary! There was a bear wandering in this area about a year ago. I never saw him. We have coyotes around here, so cats are not safe outside.
The coyotes like to sit about 50 yards from the house and sing untill I make a lot of noise.  I have seen or heard almost every kind of animal that lives in a wooded area including a mountain lion (cougar, panther, catamount or whatever you want to call it  They are just the things we have to put up with.  After all, they -their ancestors- were here before we were. We have intruded on their natural habitat..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the picture of the bear.

I know she is hard to see, but a flash and a screen don't mix well. She probably weighs 250 or so.  I tried to enhance it with Iview, but this is the best I could come up with.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking it is the blob to the left of the car.

I feel so sheltered after reading all these posts as I only get to see possums, raccoons, skunks and that sort of thing.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, I didn't point out that she is the black blob in the center of the picture just left of the rear tire.

The flash reflected off the window.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Creepy! A few months before I got Wessie there was a bear in the neighborhood several of blocks away from my house. A crowd of people stood watching as FWP came to relocate the bear. The predators don't come into town all that often, though, but every once in a while you will hear of one. I think the bears like to come and eat from people's fruit trees.

Deers aren't uncommon though, it's usually easiest to find them at dusk. They are all over the neighborhood.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't think there are any bears here, unless they're in the woods down the big hill; the road bisects a very large wooded area. DH used to live in Lehighton, PA, and they often had bears in the parking lot of his apartment building.  They used to raid the dumpster.  The restaurant down the hill had a cute photo of a bear raiding their dumpster, turned toward the camera, "Even I like to eat at the Switchback Diner!"  That area, all the way to Hazleton, where DH is from, has a LOT of businesses with the word "Bear" in their names.

We have bobcats here; I sometimes hear them at night, but rather far away.  There's a fox that I hear in the front yard, but only at night.  My next-door neaighbor told me the kids across the street saw a fox chasing her cat; one day, he came home with a few bites.

I've never seen the deer, but I've seen their damage to my plants and my old fence!  They used to walk up the steps on my 2-level deck, and eat the potted leaf lettuce!

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there are any bears here, unless they're in the woods down the big hill; the road bisects a very large wooded area.

We have bobcats here; I sometimes hear them at night, but rather far away.  There's a fox that I hear in the front yard, but only at night.  My next-door neaighbor told me the kids across the street saw a fox chasing her cat; one day, he came home with a few bites.

I've never seen the deer, but I've seen their damage to my plants and my old fence!  They used to walk up the steps on my 2-level deck, and eat the potted leaf lettuce!
If you have all those animals around, you have bears. They are just keeping hidden.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Animals are just part of living in the country where we are.  We see deer every day in our fields.  From time to time, coyotes cross, bobcats come in the yard, and bears.  We just live with it.  Never go out at night without  a light.  LOL.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Animals are just part of living in the country where we are.  We see deer every day in our fields.  From time to time, coyotes cross, bobcats come in the yard, and bears.  We just live with it.  Never go out at night without  a light.  LOL.
I would rather put up with the 4-legged type of animals than the 2-legged type.