XP,Vista, or Mac, which do you have?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linux Mint has just released a distro with an Xfce desktop. It's nice and light, quite fast even with low end resources, and the best part about the "Mints", they come packaged with most of the required codecs for multimedia.

The only thing is, I've not played with it yet, and I'm not sure at all how well the VM family will work with it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What I don't get... is why not have multiple PCs? It's always best to have more then one - .
You're talking to the guy who practically invented multiple PCs. I ran Mac & Windows side-by-side for some time back in the 90's, and before that it was some other combination (try on an Atari Mega II ST with a clunky MS-DOS portable) -- but there's always an extra PC or two laying around. I have two laptops in the room right now and another in a box in the basement. And that's after cleaning house and tossing two still-working PCs. One was my beloved Mac IIci, which still booted up just fine after being in a box for many years, though the clock was dead and the PRAM reverted to default. And I don't even remember how many laptops I've gone through. Starting with a TRS-80 Model 100, which is probably my all-time favorite laptop and there's still some of my programs for it floating around the internet.

Oh, sorry, to answer your question: it's a matter of space available.

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
2000/NT were the best platforms w/o all that graphics crap.

XP is tolerable and I use this, too.
I don't mess around w/Vista.

Also, no love for linux??? I had a system on Redhat/Fedora and now using Ubuntu.

Never got into Macs, too expensive. Though, I see why people love the interface. I do however have an M0001 Mac (every nerds dream!).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit

Also, no love for linux??? I had a system on Redhat/Fedora and now using Ubuntu.
There's a couple of us on here that push it. Just look through this thread.
Before linux I used win2k for years. My only real complaint with it was that it was a bit slow accessing folders/drives.

Once I get my house straightened out I'll probably use a spare pc for XP. Japanese language support still isn't that great on linux - there's a big problem that will get in my way.
I only have one purpose for that so it's not worth dual booting (I want both computers on at the same time).