Xiphoid Process?

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old kitty, and this morning when I got home from work, and I picked him up to snuggle him like I always do he whined. So I put him down, and waited a minute, and picked him up again, and he whined. So I felt around his belly/chest area and noticed a hard lump sticking out (feels like bone) directly under his rib cage, and he seemed very uncomfortable with me trying to see what was going on. He is eating/drinking, and playing normally. He isn't lethargic, or trying to isolate himself as if he feels sick. I did some research, and heard people with similar stories saying their cat had the "xiphoid process protruding". I made him an appt with his vet for tomorrow afternoon, but I'm going to be up all night worrying about it so I thought I would see if anyone has experienced anything similar. He gets the zoomies all the time, and he will climb door frames, and do kitty parkour through the whole house so I'm thinking he might have somehow whacked himself in the tummy, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update my post in case anyone comes across it who is having a similar situation. I took my cat to the vet for x-rays, and turns out he does have a broken xiphoid process (the bone directly below the sternum). How he managed to pull that off is beyond me, he is strictly indoors only. The vet gave him an injection for pain, and gave him pain. and anti inflammatory medication to take home. He also said there isn't much to do for a broken xiphoid other than just give it time to heal on its own, and to make sure he isn't zooming all over the house for the next few weeks.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you got a quick diagnosis and it's something treatable. Good luck on keeping him calm for the next few weeks! Always difficult with kittens and puppies.

FOXFUR40

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 week old kitten that has a hard lump protruding - feels like bone. She's a curtain climber a dropped a few days ago. We're off to the vet tomorrow. How is your kitty - is it healing ok?

Nad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
any updates? i got a kitten for breeding and i believe he has a Fixed Deviation of the Sternum or Xiphoid Process, not certain,,, my vet said no worries i could breed but i don't know