Xander is having some issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the pill pockets were no go. He won't even eat one without meds :(

Have tried: pill pockets, wet food (various brands and flavors), cheese, tuna water, tuna, salmon, canned crab, lunchmeat ham and turkey, chicken broth, cooked ground beef.

He just won't do it. Obviously something in them smells or tastes bad to him.

Any thoughts on trying to mix with thin wet food and syringe feeding? Its about the only option I have left. I no longer have Riley's feeding syringes but I'm sure I could get one from the vet or elsewhere. I just don't know what to do :(

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Anything is worth a try, including syringe feeding. Jamie is refusing his meds now, too. My last ditch effort was to put a pill in a paste (salmon paste, liverwurst, spray cheese) and smear it on his paw. Perhaps that would work with Xander?

muezza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try this moisten up your finger, stick the med on the your finger tip, place your finger in the back of the his palate, grasp his jaws until he swallows and then give a bit of water with syringe..same method, works every time for me
 not nice but in his best interest? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try this moisten up your finger, stick the med on the your finger tip, place your finger in the back of the his palate, grasp his jaws until he swallows and then give a bit of water with syringe..same method, works every time for me:eek:hno:  not nice but in his best interest? 
They are chewable tablets and quite large so I would have to break them into at least thirds, which would be doing it a total of 12 times per day. I did try that a few days ago and was only able to get one piece down him. He completely freaks out :(

I think I will pick up a syringe today and try turning it into a paste mixed with some canned food or even yogurt or something he really likes.