Wrong Numbers and Mistaken Identities

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I hijack Zissou'sMom's thread about her problem with the strange phone calls (http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138826), I thought I'd make a thread where we can post our stories of wrong numbers or mistaken identities.

I already posted the one about the wrong number for my brother in the other thread, but here are a few more.

A couple years ago I was introduced to a friend of a friend named Tom, and his wife. He's really into cars and has a fleet of exotics at his house. I noticed his beautiful Aston Martin Vantage and checked it out in detail.

Fast forward a few months later, I was driving to the Mercedes/Aston Martin dealership to drop off my then-boyfriend's car. While I'm looking for a parking spot, I notice Tom's AM, but at first I thought it was one just like his. As I passed the building, I see Tom and what looks like his wife walking out of the dealership. So naturally I roll my window down and shout out "Hey Tom!" Both him and his wife turn around and look at me with confused faces. So I say, hey "Hey it's me <Full Name>!" Being half blind, I couldn't see their faces in detail, but the posture from his wife indicated she was a little more than angry. I squinted my eyes and realized this was NOT Tom or his wife.

I apologized and mentioned how I thought they were someone else. Well when I parked and went into the building, I could hear the wife battering her husband who's name actually turned out to be Tom about who I was. He was swearing up and down that he'd never seen me before in his life, and she was wondering how I could possibly know his name. I ran in grabbed my boyfriend and went back to them with him so he could help me explain. I'm not sure if I helped any but she kinda laughed and we went on our way.

In my line of work I have a number of business clients whom I contact frequently. One day the owner of a company whom I had just started doing business with left a message asking that I call him back on his cell. The number he gave was really unclear, so after trying a few wrong numbers I gave up and decided to call his office and get his cell number.

After going through a number of people asking for the owner's cell number, they finally sent me to his highest VP. I chatted with him for a few and when I asked for his boss's cell number he says "The best way to get ahold of him is at this number", and he gave me a number. I called the number and it was answered by a woman who sounded out of breath. I asked for the owner by his name and she asks really angrily "Who is this?!!!" I answered who I was and what company I was calling from and who told me to reach him at this number. A man got on the phone and said "If I ever want to talk to you I'll call you!" and hung up. I had no idea what was going on so I decided I didn't want to do business with this guy anymore.

A few hours later the VP called me back and asked me if I was able to get ahold of his boss. I told him about what happened and he told me the whole story. The number he gave me was his wife's number. His boss had told him he was going hiking all week and would not be available at all. Right before I called him and told him that his boss had called me only hours earlier to discuss business, he had found out that his wife who was supposed to be visiting her mother wasn't actually there. So basically by giving me his wife's number he was able to find out that his wife was having an affair with his boss. I really felt bad for the guy, but I never called or answered calls from that company again.

Those are some of mine, lets hear yours.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have a good one. About 10 years ago in the house we were in then, we were getting daily "fax" calls on our home line. We had caller ID so we knew it was from the same place. It was happening for about a week straight. It became such a problem that my DH got so upset that one time he picked up the phone and yelled into it something like, "This is a HOME line and if you jerks don't stop calling with this fax I am going to sue you". I was horrified cause I was afraid that they probably could hear it. And sure enough they could cause for about a week straight these people set their fax machine to call us every 15 min. from 12 am through 6 am. We had to take our phones off the hook at night so we would not keep getting the faxes. I look back and laugh about it now but back then it was not too funny.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One Christmas my DH and I were going to my great aunt's house for a get together. It was at night and I really wasn't familiar with what the house looked like. So, we parked and went up to what I thought was her house and I opened the front door. Needless to say nothing looked familiar and I'm just standing there dumbstruck trying to figure out what was going on. Finally my brain started working and I relized I had the wrong house.
Luckily for me there was nobody in the front room to see my mistake. When I finally got to my great aunt's I told everybody and they just laughed their butts off.