Wrong decision- hepatic lipidosis, diabetes, herpes/upper respiratory- on and on

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a poor selfish choice when faced with my 13 year old cats illness.

Black Cat is a well controlled diabetic twice a day insulin cat. Been healthy and comfortable in his older years. Big muscular cat but also overweight.

Over the summer a young kitty came into the household. A month ago, she started to sneeze. The baby kitty had a mild case of herpes, but a few days later Black Cat became very sick and would not eat. After two days brought him to the vet- put him on Clavamox. Two days later brought him back- now he was a very sick cat. Wheezing and not eating.

The vet sent us to an intermediate vet care center and Black Cat was hospitalized and got sicker. Now it was 5 days without food and his blood work was beginning to show signs of hepatic liposis. His upper respiratory infection was awful, wheezing and eyes closed shut. He became jaundiced, blood sugar and electrolyes off, bilirubin climbing, and even a urinary tract infection. He then showed signs of the dreaded diabetic ketoacidosis.

The vet then suggested an upper level vet care specialty hospital. Ultrasound, liver aspiration, tube placement on and on and on. Four days later Black was still alive and ready to go home to an uncertain future. Those four days were a horror- tubes, catheters everywhere and being poked by strangers, blood drawn from a jugular vein almost hourly- one miserable kitty, fur matted and greasy, shaved in multitude places, eyes swollen shut. He never responded to me- he was on sensory overload. Would I want to have been through this. NO!

Because I never stopped and thought clearly, because the doctors kept giving me hope, I never asked, "Hey what is best for Black Cat?" I kept hearing "your cat is in very serious condition, but we think we can help". It was just the agony of what Black Cat had to go through daily to "be helped" that I should have been thinking of. And what the future might hold for him.

It was only after we started talking about going home that I learned what Black Cat's long term prospects were....tough for a diabetic immune compromised cat in the best of circumstances. The hepatic lipidosis is one thing- the diabetes another. What scares me most is that if Black gets to the point that his tube can be pulled, what about the next case of herpes? It will happen and he'll stop eating.

It was wrong. The financial is one thing, but most importantly the horrible ordeal for Black Cat. He's tolerating the tube feedings ok, but does not want to be touched, he's remote and tuned out. He looks pathetic, not the regal beast he was 2 weeks ago. I never ever would do this if just thought it out. There was always just one more vet who told me "well if we just do this he could live a good life". Now it seems the promise is very tenuous. I was very stupid.

Write this only to say to be prepared. Hope isn't worth a thing when the risks are so high and the potential for great distress to your pet is on the line. Maybe I'll get Black back as his happy self, maybe not. It wasn't worth the pain to him.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you have these feelings but it is obvious you do love your cat and are trying to do what's best for him.  When the time comes, I know you will make the right decision.  For now, though, you have to let go of any guilt and just focus on making sure Black Cat is as happy and healthy as he can be for now.

Good luck.  I know it is hard to feel this way.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can get him completely healthy again, would it be worth it then?  If you can give him another 5 years of life?

It is easy to give up when one is very sick. Yet if you can get him to recover, there may be hope. I can see why the vets are fighting for your cat... the idea being, if they can get him over this flare up, and get him stabilized, get his immune system built up, he can fight this.

Honestly, I have never heard of herpes being that bad. All my cats have been exposed and I believe both my last rescue kittens had it. It appears to be in remission now and everyone is healthy.

If you can get him healthy, it is possible he will go into remission. Was he vaccinated for herpes before he was exposed to the kitten?

Not wanting to be touched is a normal reaction to being sick!  It doesn't mean he will always be like this.  I have been hospitalized several times with severe nausea/vomiting and diarrhea, along with bacterial infections. It is very uncomfortable for those few days.

I would suggest asking about medications to help him sleep or give him pain medications. Honestly, all those times I ended up in the hospital are like a blur to me, as I was drugged. I do remember how uncomfortable I was at home and on the way there, but once they started the IV and meds, the rest is a blur.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is on medications,  having the cat not respond is quite normal. I know when Tazy cat was hospitalized for a urinary blockage, he was quite out of it when I took him home. When Izzy was spayed she was completely loopy for the next 12 hours when I took her home.   My mom had a wisdom tooth taken out in her 50's. She was completely out of it for the following two days as she was on heavy duty pain medications.

If they are giving him medications either to reduce pain, anxiety, or to help him sleep, it is very normal for him to seem "out of it".  Plus when you are really sick all you want to do is sleep and be left alone. Please don't assume he is in "agony".  He probably is uncomfortable, just like you would be if you pick up a really bad flu.

Do they have him on eye drops to help with his crusty eyes? I know my kittens with herpes had eye infections and needed meds put in their eyes twice daily for a few weeks.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for what black cat.and you have been going through. Right now he is a sick unhappy un-understanding kkitty. Give Him Time But If The Worst Comes To The Worst You will know what to do. I.pray that time won't come for many years.
What about the kitty with the cold?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much everyone.

Black Cat will come around, or he won't. We are trying to wrap our heads around it. He's an amazing cat, as loyal and fun as a dog....fetching balls, chuffing at visitors, always on our laps or chests day or nite. He keeps our dog and other two cats in line. He's been a brave and loyal king of the roost for all these years.

And then...today, he lifted his head out of his bed and made way for the afternoon feeding of treats to our dog and two other cats. Shock! The King might yet want to hold sway with his underlings. He ate a few treats. Makes me want to buy the ugliest, nastiest, smelliest, cheapest treat he might be interest in. Almost like  a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup for cats. Our 22 year old cat was over the moon for "Deli-Cat".

Stewball. You asked about the kitty with the cold? She is perfectly fine! Just a few days of sneeziness not even a runny nose or eye. Not like big brother with the URI and anorexia :-( Think that she feels badly.

Nancy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petunia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, curiously enough it appears that I made the RIGHT decision! Black Cat has rallied. A week in ICU, diabetic ketoacidosis, hepatic lipidosis and pneumonia and the old guy is back at the food bowl. Well sort of anyway. He sniffed and licked and took a couple tentative bites. He will have his esophageal feeding tube for quite some time to be sure his liver is restored to health. His blood sugar levels has stabilized, tolerating tube feedings well and for the first time in two weeks he is breathing much easier. We're over the moon! The critical care vet called today and told me not to get too encouraged as there will be ups and downs during his convalescence. She reiterated that with all he had wrong and being 13 years he more than defied the odds- she did not expect him to survive. He did not want to be touched for the last two weeks and now he's eating up being groomed, and his shaved, hairless belly rubbed.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. He may not live a long life but I'm so grateful to have him back home for even just a short time.