Writing thank you notes

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to write a thank you note/card to my grandmother for sending me a check for my birthday. I am absolutely horrible at writing thank you notes. I feel like I always write the same thing, I can't think of anything different to write. Could someone please offer me some samples of different things to say. I've already tried looking this up myself, but I keep finding the same basic things. Here's what I have so far, which is what I usually write but with slightly different wording:

Dear grandma,
Thank you so much for your generous gift. I think I will save it for something special. Thanks again. Love, (insert my name here).

I know I should write at least one more sentence, but I don't know what to write. We don't see each other even though we live 20 minutes apart so I obviously don't want to write something like "I hope to see you soon". I think I always start out with "Thank you so much for your generous gift", it would be nice to have something else to say. Sometimes instead of writing "I think I will save it for something special" I will write something like "I have been saving for new computer equipment, and now I can buy it".

Is it ok that I write it in an empty card? I can't write legibly in cursive, is print ok?

Ugh! This is so hard. Help me, please.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hate writing Thank you notes, but it's a necessary evil. You may want to include something like "Receiving your card and gift made my birthday even more special", or "Thank you for remembering my birthday". Including what you are saving it for is nice too. I'm not good at them either. I think a blank card is fine and either cursive or printing is acceptible. It doesn't have to be an acutal "Thank You" card, as in that is on the outside. So many people don't write thank you notes these days that I don't think it matters how you do it...as long as you do it.

On a side note, I think it's sad that your grandma lives 20 minutes away and you don't see her. I'm not judging as I don't know what the family situation is, but my grandma passed away last year, and I would give anything to be able to drive 20 minutes to see her again.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might attempt something like this if it were my Grandma:

Dear Grandma,

Thank you for the lovely card you sent me on my birthday. I also really appreciate the birthday money. I haven't decided what to spend it on quite yet, but one of the things I might use it towards is some computer equipment. I had a great birthday, but I miss you a lot. I know I haven't seen you lately, I hope things are going well for you. Thank you so much!

Love,
(name)

That is how I might write a thank you to my Grandma, but she lives on the other side of the US and I hardly ever get to see her. The bottom line is that a thank you note doesn't just have to say thank you, it can also say other stuff. It is perfectly ok to print IMO because print can be easier to read for old eyes.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that your thank you card can be a thank you and also a little mini-letter of sorts. Maybe just say your thank you bit forst, and then let your grandma know what you've been up to lately and hope she's doing well, etc. I tend to write too much so I always turn mine into letters.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I might attempt something like this if it were my Grandma:

Dear Grandma,

Thank you for the lovely card you sent me on my birthday. I also really appreciate the birthday money. I haven't decided what to spend it on quite yet, but one of the things I might use it towards is some computer equipment. I had a great birthday, but I miss you a lot. I know I haven't seen you lately, I hope things are going well for you. Thank you so much!

Love,
(name)

That is how I might write a thank you to my Grandma, but she lives on the other side of the US and I hardly ever get to see her. The bottom line is that a thank you note doesn't just have to say thank you, it can also say other stuff. It is perfectly ok to print IMO because print can be easier to read for old eyes.
I agree with this..it sounds sweet but being only 20 minutes away it might be nicer also if you delivered it yourself or thanked her in person instead of mailing it!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wrote how I spent them money and talked about that gift. Like a nice dress for the next time you see each other etc....They like mushy stuff.