Wow. I dont know what to do..(backstory included heh)

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know I raise horses, my mare Vixen and I have been through alot together. I bought her when I was 15, everyone in my family was dead set against it. I had a job, and i saved, i started searching. I saw an add for a 1992 model, Pinto/Arabian Palamino and white with a tri color tail, 15.2hhs, listed fairly cheap, $600 green broke. I fiqured Green Broke was why she was priced so cheap, and the fact that she had no papers yet. So out i went to look, with my dad. When we pull in, we saw, a 13.3hh little grey, who was about 100lbs underweight, with over grown hooves tied to a trash dumpster. I had red flags go up, but stayed calm and cool. When the seller came out, I asked where "strawberry" was. and she said that was her...yeah not at all what was described, i fiddled with her a bit, she deifiently was a "fixer upper", my dad advised me against getting her, since she was so mis-represented. And she sure seemed flighty, it sealed it for my dad when the father of the seller came out, the horse reared and rolled her eyes. My dad saw dangerous, i saw a horse begging for help...he said no. but it was my money.I had my own checking account, i wrote the check we picked her up the next day.

she put on weight amazingly fast, she was however very mistrustful. It was evident she was abused. And very very head shy. So I spent the next 2 months gaining her trust, slowly but surely. Once she realised i wasnt going to harm her, she seemed to be ok. she was headshy, still to this day can be. but shes gotten better. We got her feet trimmed, and she stood like a pro. After 3 months i rode her the first time, bare back in the arena. I let her do what she wanted to do. I didnt have a saddle, lol so i didnt have choice with the bare back but i was showing her, we could be buds, and she didnt have to fear me.

I did get a saddle for my 16th b-day. The first time we saddled was traumatizing, she saddled well, and took the bit, but when i got on her. she froze like bambi on ice. the trainer i was working with thought she was "cowboy broke" she could not take praise from the saddle, she would freeze up, all in all it took another 6 months of work ..we started from the ground up. she hates arena work, but we found she was happy on the trail.

Several years, a cougar attack, and a bear attack later, we have completed over 10,000 miles of trails. we have done a few search and rescue rides as well.

We have been invited to compete in a race over seas. Kinda like the ocean of fire (it is a real race just highly over done in the movie although the movie is good) it wouldnt take place for several years. but i couldnt help but look flabbergasted..at first i didnt even belive it. but i did verify.

And now i dont know what to do, lol. As of this year, i retired Vixen from racing, to be a broodie....and yet what a thing to do! especially for her, a Half Arab
yes along the way I got her papers, she is finely bred on her Sire's side, damn is a Grade QH..

Boy this sure does have me thinking..

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is crazy talk. No way should you go overseas. Just thinking about it is as silly as letting a headstrong 15 y/o buy a greenbroke, abused horse, thinking she could make a good animal out of it!

IMHO!

If you really want to share this experience with her, do it. If the shipping overseas and being part of this will be too hard on you or Vixen, don't. Best of luck making the best decision for the two of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

That is crazy talk. No way should you go overseas. Just thinking about it is as silly as letting a headstrong 15 y/o buy a greenbroke, abused horse, thinking she could make a good animal out of it!

IMHO!

If you really want to share this experience with her, do it. If the shipping overseas and being part of this will be too hard on you or Vixen, don't. Best of luck making the best decision for the two of you!
LOL amen to that! no one ever said i wasnt silly
Luckily the race i have been invited to isnt for four years. So i have time to plan it.

I dont think she would mind the shipping, actually i think she would like it. Just means getting back intot he old routine..lol..man...4-8 hours a day of riding is gonna hurt my bottah!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

If it's something you have wanted to do then by all means go for it.

Vixen sounds amazing!
She is..she is one awesome horse..there will never be another one like her.

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B
eing an old stick in the mud I'll throw my 2 censt worth in..You have been in a semi panic for the last week because of the lack of a few hundred dollars when someone stole the check for Ares so where is the thousands of dollare for this going to come from? Because you are talking 10's of thousands of dollars for something like this. I'am not saying dont do it just be aware it will cost a young fortune.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy

B
eing an old stick in the mud I'll throw my 2 censt worth in..You have been in a semi panic for the last week because of the lack of a few hundred dollars when someone stole the check for Ares so where is the thousands of dollare for this going to come from? Because you are talking 10's of thousands of dollars for something like this. I'am not saying dont do it just be aware it will cost a young fortune.
I have in the past, have had sponsors for my rides. and have contacted them in my line of research and they will contiune to sponsor me. which means the cost of shipping ect.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy

Outta sught. If the funding isnt a prob and you want it then reach out and try to grab it.
Yup funding for competive rides hasnt been a problem since she started cleaning up at the races

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say, if Ms Vixen is still showing the desire to race, then by all means go for it. It's for her, as much as it is for you. She's such a beautiful girl.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I would say, if Ms Vixen is still showing the desire to race, then by all means go for it. It's for her, as much as it is for you. She's such a beautiful girl.
Thank you! I am gonna tack her up on wensday and see what she does. shes prego right now. and we have been doing casual rides to for i shape purposes. but i am gonna get her ready as if we were gonna race and see what she does

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is 13. by no means over the hill and in good health. It will be a factor because of course several years from now she will be older. but of course..we got our tushes handed to us a few years ago by a 25 year old Gelding....*ha*