Wow, a whole slew of things to ask for vibes for

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Thanks for the site, Laurie. I actually have a bit of a background in neuroscience and a pre-med/genetics type major, so some of the science is familiar to me. The survivor stories and such are great though. I might pass the site on to him, and to one of our other friends that knows. I appreciate it!
I didn't know about your background, but that's got to help.

that you'll be a good girl and get your platelets down, and that your boss won't have a panic attack! AND that you can get to the root of the problem and that you won't need more meds.

And keeping up the for your friend.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had the monitor on now for about 12 hours. It was kind of hard getting ready for bed tonight - I have monitor wires all over my chest, if you get my drift.
And of course, for the first bit of today, my heart rate was completely normal.
It picked back up after 4 though, and is right were it has been for the past month or so, so at least the heart monitor can pick up something other than "completely normal".

My platelets were back down to their usual high but not as high at they were last week, so that's good. No threats to be medicated yet! Tomorrow is the cardiologist appointment, so we'll see how that goes. I am betting on "normal, with a few minor, harmless oddities" to go with the rest of me.

Today was "run around like mad to get ready for the meeting" - I didn't get a weekend either since I had to work all weekend to get the data ready. But we're pretty much good to go to leave on Wednesday - I just have to pick up the poster tomorrow after my appointment!

No updates from my friend yet. I'm really hoping that he's contact or will contact M.D. Anderson, but we'll see.

Thanks for the vibes, guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie!

Well, the cardiologist's went about as expected. The echocardiogram is normal, so no structural defects in my heart causing the elevated rate. We got some of the results back from the Holter monitor - my heart rate is on the fast side, hitting a max of 160 sometime last night - not quite sure why it got that fast, though there are some possibilities. She's putting me on a low dose of a beta blocker for right now, to see if that helps slow my heart rate down some.

The Holter monitor readout says that my heart stopped for 2+ seconds around 7 times during the 24-hour monitoring session, with the longest at 4.7 seconds. She's not sure how real that is, since that's a pretty long time for your heart to stop beating, but she can't tell whether its just an artifact or not until she gets the actual trace recordings, which she couldn't get for whatever reason during my actual visit. She said she'd call as soon as she knew though. As of right now, she's thinking that was just the monitor, and not really my heart stopping.

For now, I get another drug that makes me sleepy and threatens to cause "unusual dreams". That makes two of them now - and yeah, my dreams have been a little trippy as of late. I keep waking up going "What the heck was that?!"
But if that's the worst side effect I get from everything, that's not so bad - in fact, its kind of entertaining.

Now I just get to wait for the cardiologist to give me a call!

She told me the drug that she put me on might cause my blood pressure to drop too much - a fun thing to think about considering I am flying to L.A. tomorrow. Might put a slip or something in my wallet with contact information and what drugs I'm on and what not just in case it does cause my blood pressure to drop and I faint or something.
I highly doubt anything like that will happen, but just in case. It won't hurt, anyways.

Well, so far that's the result from today! Just waiting for the phone call to see what's next, if anything.