Wound under chin

Palazzolam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all after browsing the cat site and not finding anything really similar I bring to you my concern.
I present to you all smokey. Hes 5yr old male indoor only with no friends. he has some sort of wound not sure if it’s abscess, puncture ( unsure on how it could have happened) , or a bite of some kind. He does not seem to be in any pain or discomfort and let me inspect the area with out any issues until the wet towel came out to clean it. But no signs of pain or discomfort more just what seemed like aggravation from me messing with him again and not wanting to be held and cleaned up..
I am going to take him to a vet asap to get it looked at and treated. I noticed it at about 10pm so I’ve done what I can do for now.
any help would be awesome.

263AB54F-3D5B-4E60-82BA-4CD9ABB375B7.jpeg

81B1061C-4805-45E0-9193-A39008F078B3.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't imagine there is not pain involved when you are trying to clean the area - that is likely what you are labeling as aggravation. As you said, take him to a vet and let them clean it and treat it - they really can do a better job of it than you, probably more quickly and with less pain inflicted on smokey.

Once that is done, you need to take some time and see if you can find out what happened in the first place. Something in your home that he caught himself on, bowls or dishes made from plastic that caused an allergic reaction/irritation that led to the wound over time? I suspect there has to be something 'new' introduced in his environment that led to this. Start searching so you can avoid it from happening again!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Palazzolam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took him to the vet today and had the vet himself quite confused. He said it looks like a cross between a abscess and puncture and was genuinely not certain. Site was clean no infection present. Said it looks as good as it can for the situation some antibiotics and on our way.

I thank everyone for the responses. Although the last response I felt was a little backhanded. First picture was taken pre cleaning. This is not my first rodeo with animal wounds. dogs, cats, horses, and other live stock. I know how to gently and efficiently clean a wound thoroughly. but to each there own, that’s why I stay off forums.

hope everyone has a great weekend

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, if you thought my post was 'backhanded'. No one here, especially me, means to purport anything else than support. You have to understand any member on here can only go on by what information they are given, and that varies by posts/information/knowledge, which is not always obvious in any initial post. But, nonetheless, I am glad you had it checked out and have a good direction forward! That is what really matters in the long run!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not my first rodeo with animal wounds. dogs, cats, horses, and other live stock. I know how to gently and efficiently clean a wound thoroughly. but to each there own, that’s why I stay off forums.
I'm sure if you had let us know how experienced you were in your first post we would have kept that in mind while responding.

:)

However, the forums exist as a resource for other cat guardians in similar situations, so let's hope someone else benefits from the good advice posted here.

You have a great weekend too.