Wound Not Healing. What To Do?

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a recuse cat whose front right leg is paralyzed. Basically, she drags her leg at the wrist where it's bent in (check out attached pic. Not my cat. A pic off Google but quite similar to my cats situation).

The people who took her in wrapped a cloth around the leg and cut circulation. It got minor infection. Put her on antibiotic and daily ointments. The infection is gone but the wound is not going away. The area where it's circled - for lack of a better term - looks like a red flower. I'm guessing its not healing (always looking fresh) because she is constantly standing on the wound.

The vet, who i went to to get the leg amputated, said to come back after the wound has healed. Prescribed ointments, but its been over 2 months and it looks the same. No sign of healing.

Any advice?

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice, but a suggestion. Talk to another vet.
Did this vet tell you why he would rather wait until there is a possibility of the infection spreading? What was his reasoning for wanting to wait. I am no vet and do not have these answers. Nor have I ever had this problem. But that doesn't make sense to me.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If she is constantly putting pressure on that area when walking it's like she has a pressure sore where the original wound was.

I too suggest seeking a second opinion. Do you have any surgical or specialty clinics in your area? You can also search for AAHA accredited clinics. This doesn't guarantee a good vet, but these clinics have to go through extra certification to get the accreditation and can help find a good clinic.
Find an accredited hospital | AAHA

Ideally, if you were to try and get the wound to heal, the paw would need to be wrapped and possibly splinted to put it in the proper walking position and keep kitty from walking on the wrist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no advice, but a suggestion. Talk to another vet.
Did this vet tell you why he would rather wait until there is a possibility of the infection spreading? What was his reasoning for wanting to wait. I am no vet and do not have these answers. Nor have I ever had this problem. But that doesn't make sense to me.
no, he didnt give a reason. Not many vets around here too for 2nd opinion.

Ideally, if you were to try and get the wound to heal, the paw would need to be wrapped and possibly splinted to put it in the proper walking position and keep kitty from walking on the wrist.
yeah i tried that before but the leg has stiffened in that position. cant splint it.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet but, in my opinion, the picture that you sent looks as if any ulcer or infection on the wrist-equivalent is most likely never going to heal. Under these circumstances, an amputation, well above the wrist joint, is indicated.

I suggest that you ask your vet about this, as you have waited such a long time to no avail.

With all best wishes to you (and your unfortunate cat),
Geoffrey