wound near the mouth wouldn't heal, is it causing infection?

ARYA2308

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELLO everyone! HOPE ALL I WELL

My 9-year-old female cat Arya recently had two mini wounds near her bottom lip, they might be caused by cat flights in the house. I didn't notice the wounds until the corner of her lips started swelling. i wasn't sure if the swellness/dirty spots on her lip were caused by some sort of infection, I just cleaned it 2-3 times a day and the dirty parts (shown on the pic) on her lips are gone. but the pinky fat lip is still there. and the two mini wounds near the bottom lip became a joint area--it took 2 or 3 days to form a scab in that area and Arya would just lip the scab off, then it started bleeding again.here goes the cycle.

Meanwhile, the edge of the swelling lip become hard and stiff, it didn't form any scab on the lips, it just feels different the soft lips on the other side of her face.

i already tried the "Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Wound & Skin Care Pet Spray", it helps with foaming the scab but wouldn't prevent Arya from licking on it or the swelling lip.

it has been two weeks. what should I do? maybe the key point here is to prevent my cat from licking it, but i don't know how-to, it's a really tricky spot.the Elizabeth collar wound't help

and what should i do with the swelling lip? is it an infection? thanks!

88777.png 555.jpg 6666.jpg

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with MissClouseau MissClouseau That looks infected ..... and she needs to go to the vet. Sorry.

The problem with things like that on the mouth will be the constant licking and moisture. Making it difficult to heal.

Edit to add: if it is a wound from a fight, the bacteria from the wound is (more often than not) an issue that requires a vet and anti-biotics. It's considered on the serious side.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all the above members to get veterinary help and don't wait. :agree: Since you mentioned it might be caused by cat fights in the house have you checked the other cats to see if they are showing signs of any wounds?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just fixing to have surgery because of a lump in my lower eyelid and corner it does look infected. Immediately take her to a vet. Until its removed I have to put in eye drops and continuously wash the area. Call your vet and ask if you should somehow cover her eyelid or use a soft clean clothe to dot with water. It cannot get dirty

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks more like a fungal or bacterial infection. Especially with all those small scabs ringing the area. it needs attention from a vet, and likely an antibiotic. It is most likely painful.