Would you...?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrayFluffy

Thank you for all your replies! I was feeling the same way, I just had to re-assure myself. I just thought there were too many red flags going up when I talked to these people.

I've heard that it's not good for kittens to be placed in homes where there are small children because if the child is not supervised or doesn't know how to handle the kitten they could hurt the kitten. Has anyone else heard of this?
I dont have children but i know from seeing kids at the shelter, they can be very rough with puppies and kittens, even if they dont mean to. So yes, pets can get hurt if the parents aren't supervising.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not. Any kitten I have in my home with an intention to rehome has a welcome place there until the RIGHT home comes along, and that home would not declaw under any circumstances and would all agree to and be present for the adoption.

I would also be charging an adoption fee to cover vaccinations, worming, microchipping and most importantly, spaying or neutering, which I would have done BEFORE the kitten goes home, to make sure my kitten wasn't contributing to the severe overpopulation propblem.

ETA: And no, homes with small children are not the best place for kittens. I'd say kids 8+ would be best...12+ would be even better. And make sure you see the kids interact with the cats...if they are unruly at any age, no way!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

I dont have children but i know from seeing kids at the shelter, they can be very rough with puppies and kittens, even if they dont mean to. So yes, pets can get hurt if the parents aren't supervising.
Yes, and no,
My kids are 5 and 9 and been around cats all thier lives. I've taught them from day one how to handle/not handle cats and kittens. We've also got a dog too..which of course can take a little more roughhousing then the cats but they're easy with Jake too. I think it depends on how well natured the kids are

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for all your replies! I was feeling the same way, I just had to re-assure myself. I just thought there were too many red flags going up when I talked to these people.

I've heard that it's not good for kittens to be placed in homes where there are small children because if the child is not supervised or doesn't know how to handle the kitten they could hurt the kitten. Has anyone else heard of this?
I'm glad you aren't going to let them have the kitten, I didn't think you were going to anyways.

Some children are ok with young animals, usually those that have been raised around them already and know how to respect it. When it's a new pet the child doesn't completely know how to handle there can be problems. I'm more concerned that the situation in that home is that the adults wouldn't know how to properly teach the child or understand that kittens get scared. Obviously if they wanted to declaw they do no understand cats.

A good example of what can go wrong, last summer a little neighbor girl brought her kitten over to me because it was hurt. The poor thing had a bloody nose and a couple of small cuts. The little girl claimed to have "dropped" it
I suspect it was startled and tried to wrestle from her arms and she threw it down when it scratched her. I cleaned the kitten up but couldn't keep it. The girl's mother is a bit... eh, not someone I'd want harassing me.
I did give the little girl and her sister a stern talking to, telling her that "this was a baby and she had to protect it, not hurt it" after that she was more gentle with her kittens. So some kids can learn.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Yes, and no,
My kids are 5 and 9 and been around cats all thier lives. I've taught them from day one how to handle/not handle cats and kittens. We've also got a dog too..which of course can take a little more roughhousing then the cats but they're easy with Jake too. I think it depends on how well natured the kids are
Sorry i should have replied properly. Obviousely there are parents who have taught their kids. And it depends on age. If it's a toddler most likely they will not really know the difference. Unfortunately when i was little i knew some kids who were lovely around their parents, then right little
when the parents weren't looking. I actually have a really good solution to this problem. Give all the kittens to me!!!

It's into autumn now and the nights are cold, i wouldn't mind a moving blanket of cuteness

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have a question...

Would you give a kitten to a home knowing that when the new owners get the kitten the first thing they are planning to do is get it declawed? And, one of the people living in the home doesn't like cats. They also have very small children in the home. Would you give a kitten away to a home like this, or find a better home?

Thanks for your feedback...
I know exactly what you are going through here. I have 5 kittens that we are trying to get homes for and one person who wanted one said that her other cat was declawed and couldn't hurt the kitten or something like that and so I asked her if she would get the kitten declawed, and she said yes because she didnt' want it to scratch up her leather couch. I told her that I would not give her one of them. I don't believe in that AT ALL!! We still have about 8 weeks to find homes for them, so hopefully someone better will come along. I don't know why people who claim to love cats would do something like this to them. I have never had a problem with ANY of my cats clawing anything they shouldn't, ok, so I have, but I am a cat person, and I just allow it, I guess!
Mostly my kitties just scratch on their posts. Good luck to you finding a good home full of claws! I guess, good luck to me too!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Normally, I read all the responses before I post mine, but this time I can't wait that long to say NO!

I'm sure others have gone over all the reasons why, so all I have to contribute is my righteous rage at the whole concept of declawing. To mutilate an animal for your own convenience is beneath contempt. Don't let those people near your kittens!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AHHH sigh of relief...

If one person didnt like cat s NO , want to declaw NO... Kids depends on the kids , I was born into a family with a 11 yr old cat 3 year old dog and a younger cat ... I never attempted to hurt or harm them and was taught not to be rough

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Simple as that. Cats are designed to have claws, and if they can't accept a cat for the beauty in the way it is meant to be then they shouldn't have a cat.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I wouldn't. I know far too many people with small children and cats to consider "but the cat might scratch my kids!" a viable excuse. Train the kitten not to scratch. Train the kids not to pester the kitten. That's how it works in all my friends' households (and you can bet that if one of the kids does get scratched, the cat had a pretty good reason for it!), so I have faith it will work in others as well.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small children and kittens - I would say it very much depends on the children. My brother and I were brought up around animals and were very calm and well behaved, and knew to handle animals quietly and gently. We had budgies all our lives and they are more fragile and nervous than a kitten. I have no doubt that we'd have been fine with any animal. This cannot be said of all children, so I would err on the side of caution and say no unless I knew the children well and knew them to be quiet and respectful of animals and used to handling them.

The other thing to remember is that children do not develop the skills to know how hard they are grasping something until about the age of 6 - this is part of normal child development and nothing to do with bad behaviour, a child under the age of around 6 is likely to hold an animal too hard without intending to be rough.

The other worry with kittens and small children is the parents - if the kitten scratches a child's hand in play, are the parents going to use the opportunity to teach their children not to play with the kitten with their hands, or are they going to take the kitten to a shelter or put it outside because it is 'vicious'?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to make this sound bad or anything, but I'm almost more concerned about the person in the home that hates cats worse than I am about the declawing. I've heard this person make comments like if that cat claws the furniture or whatever they're going to kill the cat. I've also seen and heard how this person treats the small children in the home and I worry about abuse. I feel children need discipline, but too much or too hard of discipline isn't the answer either. There is just something about this persons personality that I don't trust.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have a question...

Would you give a kitten to a home knowing that when the new owners get the kitten the first thing they are planning to do is get it declawed? And, one of the people living in the home doesn't like cats. They also have very small children in the home. Would you give a kitten away to a home like this, or find a better home?

Thanks for your feedback...
Haven't read any of the other responses yet, but here's my answer.

NO!!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER give any cat/kitten to an owner that would declaw! I am highly against declawing! I once thought it was no big deal until I became a cat owner and my boyfriend explained to me what the procedure was! NEVER EVER! Both my cats have claws and they are prone to their posts... not furniture! They are gems and I am glad I never subjected them to cruelty! I would find a better home... Knowing me i would keep the kitten!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really would not give a kitten to a home like that. Not at all.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just faced the same moral problem as you... The 7 year old diabetic cat I'm fostering and trying my best to find a home for... had a possible home. The only problem was that they wanted her declawed... They have a diabetic cat already and were willing to take her as well but not at the risk of having there furniture clawed... If she had the surgery she would be at a greater risk of infection due to the diabetes, she would be in more pain since she is an older cat, and it would go against what I believe... My boss was even willing to pay for the surgery.... But I just can't due it... not for someones furniture... I can understand a LITTLE more if a person has a medical condition which puts them at risk of an infection if they get scratched... But not for someones cloth, leather or wood.... thats not worth putting a cat through such a painful expiriance in my opinion.

I'm glad you decided to not give them the cat.... I think you made the right choice.