Would you wear a sweater made from your cat's fur?

kittenkatbar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably not, if only because I never wear the color of my cats' fur.

I might, if I had a cat who had rainbow fur!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you go through with the sweater idea, I wouldn't openly advertise that your wearing cat fur yarn. Firstly, it could gross some people out. Secondly, if it did turn out really well, you don't want any entrepeneurs out there getting ideas of kidnapping cats for thier fur.

Personally, I would go for a blanket or pillow instead. That way it stays at home for your own enjoyment. Plus it's kept somewhat private.

I wonder what your cat at home would think of this item? Or other cats? Would they love sleeping on it, hiss at it, be afraid of it, or worse pee on it!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

If you go through with the sweater idea, I wouldn't openly advertise that your wearing cat fur yarn.
Yeah, that's kind of my thought. It's a sweet idea, but something I wouldn't personally do, and I think it may freak other people out. Not that you should rely too much on other people's opinions, but still, might not be good to walk around telling every last person you're wearing your cat. I do think it might be nicer to do the scarf/blanket idea, because then you can have a bit of him but not have to WEAR it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

This is a serious question. I brush my longhaired cat daily and remove an abundant amout of fur. The other night we had a tailor over to our house and she commented on the beautiful coat that Persi had and asked me what I was doing with all of the fur I was removing. Well, I had been just throwing it away but she told me that she could make a most beautiful sweater or even coat out of the fur if I would save it. Of course I would have to save it for quite some time but I remove two handfuls daily and the tailor predicted within a year that she could make something truly beautiful. So now I am thinking, would this be sick or would it in fact be quite the tribute to your cat to announce to people that you were wearing your cat? There are a lot of people that object to fur coats but it seems to me this is different, I have to remove the fur daily anyway so why not save it? So, I am saving it, I do not know if I will ever do anything with it but DW tells me she would be proud to wear something like that. What do you think? I would be greatly influenced by what TCS members thought about this.
As I mentioned, I greatly value your input. After reading your replies I think that what I am going to do is to continue saving his fur as I brush it out each day and then perhaps do nothing, but after reading your thoughts on here, I think I would then opt for a blanket or tapestry to hang on the wall. I think that would be a nice tribute and would be something not worn. (Allergies is not an issue around here because Persi practically sleeps in our face every night.) Also, the tailor never mentioned a price for an engineering feat like this which I imagine would be quite considerable.

Yes, I still think I would like to do something with his fur like an elegant tapestry on the wall that would not freak anybody out and we would always have this tribute to our cat which we could keep secret if we decided to do so.