Would you take a walk outside during deer hunting season??

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not able to walk very far, but I live in the heart of downtown so I would walk in the day but not at night, not out of fear of deer hunters, but out of fear of street gangs and really mean people.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

You know this is all based on the assumption that they don't give guns to color blind hunters.

I don't know if I trust that assumption.
My father was colour blind and he was an avid hunter and fisherman. And he didn't once shoot a person

EDIT: Ooops, forgot about that nifty multi quote... sorry

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would depend on who is hunting in the area. If the local land owners give permission to anyone who asks, no I probably wouldn't. There are some real idiots out there.
But, I know where my father hunts, the land owners are very picky about who they let on their land. Many time (most times, actually) he and his party are the only people hunting there because the ranchers/farmers know that he is responsible and careful. They know they won't have to worry about him cutting their fences or shooting their livestock or shooting at their homes.

I would also say that if you can, go walking in the later morning (after 9:30-10:00 or around noon would be preferable) and definitely NOT right around dawn and dusk. Deer bed down during the day time hours (unless a storm is coming), so hunters generally won't see anything to shoot at during the mid-day hours. Deer are most active right around dusk and dawn and of course that's also when light conditions aren't condusive to seeing longer distances (or idiots looking beyond what they are shooting at, and those are the idiots who miss their shots and hurt people).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually walk early but I think tomorrow it will be somewhere else (that is if my foot feels better) I walk on the road but one never knows about hunter aim.
While waking in the woods today cutting pine boughs and such I must have startled a deer-didn't really go looking for it though!! And I heard lots of "target practice" but no one was on our 79 acres and my BIL has the 94 acres on the other side (where I was cutting) and no one should be there hunting either.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we lived in New Hampshire, during the hunting season, we would only let out horses out between 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. The minute the shadows started to form, in they went. During the summer we could leave them out 24/7. Not during hunting season. On wag up the road a bit painted the word "COW" in white paint on his black cow. Didn't make any difference, it got shot and killed anyway.

We were afraid to take the dog out for a walk early in the morning dressed in bright orange and red.

Don't take the chance.