Would You Rather Know, Or Not Know...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I would want to know so I could spend the last days with her..and not be on vacation or something.
Ditto.

I've lost pets very unexpectedly, and I've also had to make the sad decision to have one PTS because of advanced kidney disease and my inability to afford the treatment costs.

I would much rather know so that not only could I prepare myself, but I could make sure that I spent extra time with her letting her know that she is so loved.

kath3cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't think I would want to know..I would be counting down the days and wouldnt be able to live my life like I should.....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing in advance never prepares you, but at least you can be there as much as possible for them, and if you have to let them go due to illness (Sadly, most terminal illnesses do result in that, rather than them going in their sleep, unless they suffer), you can be there with them, say goodbye, and know that they went peacefully, and that really is important, and as hard as it is, it is so much easier than suddenly finding them, and never getting to say bye before they go.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is such a hard question to answer. . .
as many have said before if it were of old age I would prefer not to know. I woruld prefer they go peacefuly to sleep one night and not wake up. With a younger cat, i would want to know so i knew i did all that I could. . .

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather not know. That is a hard question though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to make those tough decisions to pts some of our shelter furbabies ever so often. It is NEVER easy, it is always heartbreaking. But i definitely think it's better to know ahead of time- usually the animals are very ill or have been soo mistreated that they are unadoptable and suffering...so putting them out of their suffering in a humane way where they are held and loved in their last moments is better than watching them suffer. I'd rather be there in their last moments to give them a scratch on their head or hold them, than not be there at all and have them pass alone.

I'd rather be there when they pass and know ahead of time is i can prepare myself to let them go and make their last moments as comfortable as possible. So many animals that wind up in our shelter have never been shown an ounce of kindness by other people...for me- the most kind and loving thing i can do in their last moments is hold them and let them know they are cared for.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I think I'd rather know, b/c at least then, you have a chance to prepare yourself
I don't think anything could prepare me to be honest?, because i'd be a basket case regardless

If i knew when it was going to happen i'd spend my time watching and waiting for the day to come, so no i don't want to know.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Death is a part of life, its part of the this game we call life.
It makes no difference to me, it sucks no matter what,
But i always say, its not good bye.
its only until we meet again.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm another that would want to know, without a doubt I'd want to know. With my leukemia kitties I've lost kitties both ways and I can honestly say that the sudden deaths still haunt me
I feel like I didn't get a chance to help them, or say good-bye and tell them how much I love them

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've known since May that Raven is going to die sooner than he should. He was diagnosed with cancer. More recently we found out he has 2 more masses internally and probably more. I'm glad to know, because rather than rushing to get a job after our move (I'm planning to go back to school in the new year) I've been able to have quality time with him.

Terminal illness allows you to come to terms with the death before it happens. I know we will have to make that last appointment soon, but every day before that is a gift.
It still hurts, but it's just different than a sudden death.

I had a much harder time coming to terms with the death of a beloved childhood cat who just disappeared from my parents backyard one morning. It was probably a coyote.

I've also had pets (cats, fish, horses and more) my whole life, so for me death is just part of the cycle of life. We know they won't live as long as we do. It still hurts, but it's life. Treasure them while they are here.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life is all about the unknown...we would rather not know.
We wouldn't want to know when we are going to die so that is the same with our cats too.
No matter when death happens, its going to be hard whether you know or not.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to know when Tab was gonna go and I was literaly sick.

I think I would rather know to prepare myself though, even though it is terrible.

RIP Tab xx

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like time to prepare myself. Its alot harder when you think they are fine and then you find out that they arent and they are gone. I like to know and like to be able to prepare myself. Its much easier that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Terminal illness allows you to come to terms with the death before it happens. I know we will have to make that last appointment soon, but every day before that is a gift.
It still hurts, but it's just different than a sudden death.
I agree. When Foxy was diagnosed w/ an inoperable brain tumor, I knew he only had so much time left w/ me, and I had time to prepare myself for the day when I had to take him in to be PTS. It was horrible knowing that he was going to die, and I cried every day knowing that his time was coming.
But at least I knew, and it gave me more time to spend w/ him and love him as much as I possibly could - and I also was able to be w/ him when the time came to say goodbye. And he died in my arms - not alone. I was able to comfort him in the end...

I had a much harder time coming to terms with the death of a beloved childhood cat who just disappeared from my parents backyard one morning. It was probably a coyote.
When Damian died suddenly of what the vet thought was a stroke, it was worse than knowing when Foxy died, b/c I had no warning, no preparation, and no time to say goodbye - or let him know how much I loved him and how much he meant to me. I'm sure he probably knew, but it still sucked b/c I didn't have those final moments w/ him.

Either way, it sucks.
But I still think I'd rather know, even if you have to live with the knowledge every single day till their time eventually comes, b/c it gives you more time to cherish those last few days or weeks together..

~KK~

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest I think it's easier to not know. My kitty Sassy recently passed away of cancer, and as it got worse I knew when she was going to pass away. It was heart wrecking. It brought me to tears everyday leading up to it, knowing that she would soon be gone. It's so much easier to just not know. Of course knowing that she would soon be gone, I did know to spend extra time with her while I still could. But I think I'd still prefer to not know a pet was going to pass away.